Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Camera flash capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spork

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
flash capacitor

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could explains (in general) what happens in a camera flash charging circuit?

Basically, I have a disposable camera that I would like to remove the capacitor+charging circuit+ flash from, and I am still trying to understand what happens.

I used to be under the impression that capacitors held XuF at XV (X being generic variable) and ONLY at the specified voltage. I then realized that they can be charged UP TO the labeled Voltage at the capacity specified.

So recently I have believed that the capacitor's voltage is that of the circuit's. If this is so, does the camera use an op-amp (or something) to charge the capacitor up to excess of 100v?

Thank you,
Spork

camera flash capacitors

Flashes require relativelyhigh voltages. You typically need a few thousand volts to introduce make the xenon gas conductive. There are many of ways to arrange the step-up circuit, but most configurations contain basic elements like inductors and transistors. Modern flashes tend to use complicated active feedbacks for the purpose..

camera flash capacitor

Hmm, it looks like the flash is directly connected to the 330v 180uF cap, but I don't have a great view.

Basically the entire charging circuit is there, I just want to tear it out of the camera, so I have a standalone flash... I was wondering if this is 1) feasable (fairly easy to do) and 2) someone could help to identify which parts I need.

Thanks,
Spork

Hi Spork,

Maybe this data sheet will help you figure out what is going on here. Simple flyback transformer charges capacitor, then an IGBT pulse one side of a trigger cap to ground, the pulse from the cap goes into a trigger transformer that excites the lamp to a point of breakdown, then the main cap dumps its energy through the lamp and you have a flash.

Regards

dfullmer

Spork

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
the camera uses an up-step converter circuit to transform a sinus/rectangular wave generated around a simple electronic circuit to a much higher voltage (initially AC and then rectified) to charge the capacitor.
The capacitor discharges very quickly on feeding the lamp of the flash

Spork

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Ah, thank you guys. I will try to take the circuit out tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back