Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF Electromechanical Switch Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex_weiss06

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I 'm a new member in this board.
I would like to discuss about high frequency RF electromechanical switch design.
Does anyone have the same interest?
Alex Weiss:D

yAA, I am interested. I am working on the same topic in my thesis.

do you mean Rf MEMS?

hamdard said:
yAA, I am interested. I am working on the same topic in my thesis.

Can you share with us more detail about the project you're working on?

Alex

Added after 1 minutes:

metu said:
do you mean Rf MEMS?

My specilization is more in conventional electromechanical switch, for example SPDT switch with frequency from DC to 67 GHz. My interest is more on RF portion.

there are some works carried for wide band dpst. for the switches you can look
A DC to 100Ghz high performance ohmic shunt switch denis mercier
since your frequency start from dc you will need dc contact switch.
i have also some spdt work but frequency low(~20Gig)

metu said:
there are some works carried for wide band dpst. for the switches you can look
A DC to 100Ghz high performance ohmic shunt switch denis mercier
since your frequency start from dc you will need dc contact switch.
i have also some spdt work but frequency low(~20Gig)
What kind of microwave theory did you use to calculate the cut-off frequency for your switch? Can you also let me know what is the RF performance such as Return Loss (S11, S22), Return Loss (S21) and Isolation?
:?:

we have not measured s-parameters of the spdt yet due to some technical problems and waiting for equipment. designed with HFSS

metu said:
we have not measured s-parameters of the spdt yet due to some technical problems and waiting for equipment. designed with HFSS

I'm an expert in electromechanical switch design. I guess it is easy to design a high performance SPDT. Basically your switch should at least meet below specification:-

**broken link removed**

Please share your test result. I'm very interested to know your switch Isolation, Return Loss & Insertion Loss.

I'm expert in CST simulation. In fact I found CST is more user friendly than HFSS.

Alex
EM Switch Guru

pleas if you can explain more detailes to help you

Hi Alex
while designing the switch we have considered also the switching time hence isolation of the single switch is around 20dB at 20 GHz. I also look at the datasheet in rec-usa... however RF characteristics are better than our design.
i have also tried the CST once, however it has some problems with the planar circuits and give wrong results(or i could not manage to simulate the device)

RF Electromechanical Switch Terminated & Unterminated

metu said:
.......hence isolation of the single switch is around 20dB at 20 GHz. I also look at the datasheet in rec-usa... however RF characteristics are better than our design.
i have also tried the CST once, however it has some problems with the planar circuits and give wrong results(or i could not manage to simulate the device)
Hi Metu, I would consider your switch has a very low performance if the isolation is only 20dB at 20GHz. If you design your switch properly, you should get like 70 to 90dB. Isolation is one of the most important parameter in EM switch. You really need to pay a lot of attention onto it.

So far, I have used CST intensively to design em switches. The measured result and the simulated result is very close.

If you need my help, you can forward me your CST model and I can help you to trouble shoot.

Alex
EM Switch Guru:D

Added after 52 minutes:

there are two kinds of switches seies and shunt.
series switches are good for low frequency and shunt is for high frequency.

Hi alex_weiss06

Happy new year
As you have mentioned here that you are expert in CST. I think can help me.
I am working on RF MEMS Shunt Switches for my thesis , I finished with DC simulation using Coventorware.
Now I want to do RF simulation , I have access to CST microwave studio , but I am unable to do it because some errors are coming .

can you please help me.I will be very much thankful to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.