Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the IR drop and how to avoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vreddy

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
IR drop

can anyone explain me in detail wat is IR drop??how to avoid?? how it effects timing??

Thanks in advance

Re: IR drop

I is current
R is resistance

IR = V(olts) see Ohms Law

An IR drop is nothing more than the voltage drop across a resistive path.

IR drop

essentially, your power straps are not with zero resistance. So as your cells switch and draw current, there is drop in the VDD seen by the cells. This changes the cell characteristics like drive resistance and slows down the cell, causing timing violations.

IR drop

IR Drop as said above is voltage drop from the PAD circuitry to the standard cells.

> The implication is the reference voltage VDD is different at different places in the chip causing on chip variations . Also, a ngative impact on timing due to reduced VDD => (Vdd - I*R)

> To keep the IR drop (voltage drop) within a particular range, we generally do power planning, by deriving
- the number of core power pads
- the core ring width
- the core straps (Mesh) width & spacing & number

#REF: Power Network Design For an ASIC with
Peripheral IO Power PADs (Solvnet) for detailed calculations

Note: This Power Planning is effectively nothing but Kirchoffs Current Law.

Cheers

Re: IR drop

IR drop affects timing because the cells will not get sufficient voltage and thus cannot rise to the desired level within the rise time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back