Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The GGPMOS diode vs. the GGNMOS diode in ESD protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

chang830

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ggnmos

Hi,
In my ESD protection strategy, I used the GGNMOS diode and GGPMOS diode as my ESD protect circuit. The GGNMOS is from the pad to GND and the GGPMOS is from the PAD to VDD.

But some one recommend me to replace the GGPMOS diode with the GGNMOS diode and said it will play little function in ESD protection.

I want to know any guide line to use GGPMOS and GGNMOS in ESD protectiion from PAD to VDD?

PLs. comments.

GGNMOS ideally works when IO zaps to VSS or VSS zaps to IO. GGPMOS ideally works when IO zaps to VDD or VDD zaps to IO. So, both should be placed on chip. GGNMOS should be more effective as it's mobility is higher for electrons than holes. However, as for this, gate length got to be thicker than PMOS gate length. GGPMOS can be of more current uniform.

I would say, GGPMOS or GGNMOS are both NOT effective. You should use resistive GGNMOS or resistive PMOS or pseudo grounded PMOS/NMOS as your ESD diode. I once implementted GGNMOS/GGPMOS and they CANNOT withstand over 2000V HBM, afterwards, I changed to resistive NMOS/PMOS and can withstand over 2000V, but still not much, at least may meet your requirement

chang830

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
hello,

Under normal operational conditions GGNMOS offers very high impedance and thus acts as an open. Under high current conditions, it is not the GGNMOS which turns on but the parasitic device present in the GGNMOS that turns on providing a very low impedance path. This property of the device is utilized for ESD protection.
GGNMOS function remains the same for grounded gate p-channelMOS transistor
ggPMOS. I joins hung_wai_ming@hotmail.com in his good explanation "both should be placed on chip"

SALAM
gafsos

chang830

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back