Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

chip erase in pic16f628A

Status
Not open for further replies.

mago

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
erase code protected pic

Hi everybody,

Does anyone know how to chip erase the pic16f628? i have a pic that, acidentally, had its code protection bits activated, and now i want to know if it is lost, or if there is another way to recover it. I do not care about the code that is already burned in it. i know that some pics have this function about erasing all the pic, chip erase, but i am afraid that this model does not have this function.

Anybody can help?

pic 16f628a cp

Hello
This is is Flash , you can Erase it Normally!

Regards
Cortex

pic 16f876 erase code protection

but when the code protection bits are enable, you don´t have access to the segment code you have protected, program and/or data code.
and even trying to reprogram the flash, you cannot rewrite those bits in the configuration word.

Am i wrong?

how to write data in eeprom of pic16f628a

yes , that is what i want but how can i do that for pic16f628?
is there any command in the porgram specification for doing this?

pic16f628a erase

mago said:
yes , that is what i want but how can i do that for pic16f628?
is there any command in the porgram specification for doing this?

Mago, this is simple:

1.- Open you software for pic Program (winpic800, icprog, Mplab etc...)
2.- Erase the Pic
3.- Your pic is ready

pic16f628 code protection

Hi MAGO,
this a simple view on ICPROG software, look option erase all,
regards

erase code protected pic

thank you all, but i was wondering if that will work on a pic that had its code protected bits already set.

pic16f628a program

mago said:
thank you all, but i was wondering if that will work on a pic that had its code protected bits already set.

Yes your pic have the reason, read this (Microchip Datasheet):

PAGE 89
When the device is code-protected, the CPU can
continue to read and write the data EEPROM memory. A
device programmer can no longer access this memory.

PAGE 111
Only a Bulk Erase function can set the CP
and CPD bits by turning off the code
protection. The entire data EEPROM and
Flash program memory will be erased to
turn the code protection off.

So you can write a code to turn off cp and cpd

Sorry, but is true.

mago

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
pic16f628a code protect off

Thanks my friends, i have finally concluded that when you set a code protection bit, you protect the area of memory (program and/or data, depending wheter you set the appropriate bits in the configuration word), in such a way that, when you try to read the program memory or data memory, you receive 0x0000 or 0x00 respectively. This protect someone else from stealing your code. however, if you run the bulk erase program memory command, you erase both of areas(data and program) and reset the configuration word to 0x3FFF, so that you can program again the pic, but you cannot see the code that was previously burned.

Someone told me that its possible to "hack" the pic (i think that has something to do with manipulating the power pins), and they can do reverse engineering, disabling those protection bits and then read the code.

I have found that some models have a special function called chip erase, that do what i mentioned above, and because pic16f628, doesnt had this function i was wondering that this old model would not clear after the protected bits were set. This is what was confusing me. Thanks everybody for the help.

pic16f628 erase

I have the same problem with a PIC16F877A.

How can I disable code protect?

I can't download the attached file *.pdf.

Thank you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.