Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What flyback transformer to use for a defibrillator system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moh19814

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear friends,
i am designing a defibrillator system, and i would like to use a flyback transformer (convertor) to charge a 150u F capacitor until 2000 V (with energy between 150 to 300J). the charging time should be around 10 secondes. the input source is a battery with 12 v.

please, i need any suggestion and help to accomplish this target. if anyone can help me by some design or name of parts which i can use.

thanks a lot

Re: Defibrillator Help

Why using a transformer, is heavy maybe you can use a charge pump ???.. Cheaper too.

Some links:
**broken link removed**
Use a Dickson Charge pump with diodes and a high frequency transformer. With PWM you can control the charge pump current and since Q = I * t and Q = C * U you can workout the charge !.

**broken link removed**

i do not know about this charging pump, and i need an isloation, that is why i choose the transformer.

You can get isolation with a charge pump, check the first pdf and simply read and look at the designs !!!.. Use a transformer for High frequency 100KHz of 1:10 and build an FET bridge to switch the transformer. The output of the transformer is that +/- 120V and you now use a diode charge pump to make the 2Kv !.

checking your numbers:
E = ½CV²

300 = ½ * 150uF 2000²

Current we need to charge 150uF capacitor with:
Q = I * t
Q = U * C
Q = 2000 * 150uF
Q = 0.3 C

I = Q/t
I = 0.3 / 10
I = 30mA charge current which is perfect for charge pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.