Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RS232 ICD2 Powered by Target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am building a few inexpensive RS232 only ICD2s for my students and would like to power them from the target/breadboard power supply. This seems to work but I am a bit concerned.

I recall reading that the Microchip ICD2 must power up prior to the target and should not be powered by the target.

Readme for MPLAB ICD 2
6 Powering the MPLAB ICD 2 and Target Board
NOTE: MPLAB ICD 2 must be powered BEFORE power is applied to the target application.

Does anyone understand what the issue might be.

Hi,

In the ICD-2 there are buffers that are powered from the target board voltage. This is due to the fact that you can program the PIC in any voltage ( depands on your protection flags ) from 2V - 5.5V.
So, The ICD-2 needs to be powered first, only then you can connect the target board. Any thing else, and the ICD-2 will not work corectly.
Good luck.

p.s. If your students do not require the debuger function, then download from microchip the schamtics for the PICKIT-2. This is very low cost programer.

Thanks for the reply.
That makes sense.

Then the design which I am using (close to Lothar Stolz's) which does not use buffers (5V only) should be OK if powered by the target.

This is a good thing in that the debugger is a very handy teaching tool.

Thanks Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.