Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the difference btween planar inductor & RFID coi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logan_

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
planar inductor

I am interested about RFID coil tag design but I have some doubts about.
RFID coil tag is fundamentally an inductor or antenna?
What kind of care I must have in design and simulation?
If it is an antenna I must consider in simulation ground plane?
what kind of port must be used?

Thanks Advance

rfid inductor

Hi Logan,

I am not very expert in RFID. But I think it all depends to the frequency of operation. For example in 13.56MHz systems, the tag should be in the near field of the reader. So the principle of power transfer is based on inductive coupling. Thus it is better to say the coil tag is an inductor.

In the other hand, for very high frequency systems, for example at 2.5GHz, the tag will usually be in the far field of the reader, thus the principle of power transfer is based on radiation. So now you should consider the coil as an Antenna.

I hope that helps you.

planar inductor and phd and developed

Hi OpAmp!

Thanks for you attention!

I am interested about RFID coil with inductive coupling at 13.56Mhz and not backscattering.
I have already simulated some examples in sonnet and IE3D, so I need to understand more about inductive coupling.
Do you have any reference, article, paper?

thanks advance

planar inductor antenna

Hi Logan,

Here are some application notes and design guides which helped me a lot in understanding RFID systems:

I hope they help you too .

OpAmp

Logan_

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back