Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The data rate of EDGE in comparison to GPRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virus King

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
as i know that we use GMSk for GPRS and 8-psk for EDGE,
so my question is that can we achive 4 times the datarate of GPRS by using 8-PSK.
can we play vedio broadcasting in G2.5 in GSm network

reply in detail.

Virus King

EDGE vs GPRS

I know by using EDGE for GPRS , the ability of this usage increase by the way for some reason also Video Broadcasting we must travel to 3G mobile communication SYSTEM

Re: EDGE vs GPRS

Virus King said:
as i know that we use GMSk for GPRS and 8-psk for EDGE,
so my question is that can we achive 4 times the datarate of GPRS by using 8-PSK.
can we play vedio broadcasting in G2.5 in GSm network

reply in detail.

Virus King

Dear Virus King

By using the 8-PSK we can use triple the rate of GPRS,also we can't use vedio broadcasting in G2.5 in GSm network as at least we need to use EDGE for the high data rate needed in video broadcasting

Best Regards

I think you better define what kind of Video Broadcasting first, I meant the picture size/quality...

EDGE and GPRS is just a means for communication, it has no limitation how you use it, but the datarate...

So, if you want to do a small size Video Broadcasting, I think it is ok.. As I have done an experience using a GPRS to try to watch a RMVB format video on a Computer, Audio could be ok, however, Video is very very slow, about 10-20 sec per frame... And the image size is 320x240...

Hi
According to 3GPP TS 05.02 version 8.11.0 Release 1999 "ETSI TS 100 908 V8.11.0 (2003-06)"
clause 3.2.4

A PDTCH/F using GMSK modulation carries information at an instantaneous bit rate ranging from 0 to 22,8 kbit/s.
A PDTCH/F using 8PSK modulation carries information (including stealing symbols) at an instantaneous bit rate ranging from 0 to 69,6 kbit/s.

Salam
Hossam Alzomor
www(.)i-g(.)org

Status
Not open for further replies.