Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to generate 400 VDC from 230V AC using bridge rectifier and capacitor filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsps

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI all,
I want to generate 400V DC from 230V AC using simple bridge rectifier and capacitor filter. Please advise me how to bulid the circuit with less components.

Please reply promptly.

regards
JSPS

Re: 400 VDC from 230V AC

230Vac can be converted (with a bridge and a cap) to roughly 325Vdc - that's it ..

Regards,
IanP

i need 400V dc,
please advise

regards
JSPS

One option to produce 400Vdc of 230Vac is to use a voltage double - see picture below - and then reduce the voltage (roughly 650Vdc) to 400Vdc using simple two-resistor voltage divider ..

Regards,
IanP

jsps

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
400 VDC from 230V AC

Hi IanP
thank u very much
i will try out the circuit and revert u !

regards
JSPS

How much current do you need ?.

400 VDC from 230V AC

u can use the same transformer but u have to change the ratio of the primary and the secondary
remove some secondary coils and then u will get a controlalbe voltage i know itz not practical but itz very efficient

i need 0.75A

0.75A @ 400V => 300W .. voltage doubler + resistive voltage divider will be impractical ..

One other option is to use 230/55 transformer (at least 300VA - to keep the size small you can consider toroidal transformer) and connect it in auto-transformer configuration, that is primary in series with secondary; connect 230Vac to the 230V winding and take the output voltage from both windings => 230Vac+55Vac => 285Vac .. see picture below ..
After rectification (bridge) and smoothing (cap, ≈1000µF/1A of output current) you should have roughly 400Vdc ..

Regards,
IanP

jsps

Basically, you can make a voltage doubler of 2 x 1N4007 diodes and 2 x 200uF capacitors with IanP's circuit to get 650VDC maximum from 230VAC mains, and then use a resistor in series with load to reduce output voltage down to 400V on load.

However, since you need a fairily big current (0.75A), so this circuit is really impractical as the series resistor must dissipate .75A x 250V # 190W, that a huge energy waste.

Try to use a step-up transformer before a rectifier and capacitor as our guys suggest, a autotransformer here is really small.

nguyennam

jsps

400 VDC from 230V AC

thanks guys
i like this group very much because of such a talented guys.

regards
JSPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back