Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I control 6 stepper motor with a PIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexNadal

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
kumko motor 49 info

Hi! I have to control 6 stepper motor, each motor have 4-phase therefore I have to use 4 bits of a PIC to control each one, so I will use 3 ports of my micro and I still need 2 more ports to other things.

How do you recommend me? what chips will you use?! what PICS will you use?

Thanks

stepper motor multiplexing

Chec the 877 or 876. They have enough I/O pins ( two 8bit at least) that will address your problem.
D.

stepper motor control pic

use shift register or other "port expander"
or use ic for stepper motors e.g. from alegro.
then you need just 2 wires (direction, step)

multiplexing stepper motors

It is probably better to use stepper motor driver ic/circuit because it solved the timing problem. Definitely timing will be your problem because some stepper motor requires different clock from the other. If you can use a different clock source for every motor then it is better.

Agree with az25, you can use PIC16F84A, the most popular PIC with reasonable price, to control your 6 stepper motors via motor drivers. You also can multiplex the input - output functions at port pins so you need no 4-port PIC!!!

nguyennam

Well using stepper motor drivers ar not a very good idea, thought, becouse they are so expensive, at least in Spain, and also still have to use 3-bit for each motor (enable,direction,step).

Multiplex the input was also one of my ideas using before the motors a latch or insted of multiplex the input use a small pic to drive the motor, but of course it complicate the programation of the PIC.

Thanks for all!

simply you need a pic of atleast 3*6 = 18 pin if there is no more I/O's
try PIC16f876

well, that was my first idea, but at the end I will use 2 pics to control the motors and an other one that will be the "brain", the key thing is that I will use SPI interface to connect the differents PIC.

The main problem is tha I need many I/O.

Thanks for all !!

if you need extra IO's use 74HC595 shift register with latch for Output and 74HC164 for inputs

Since you are asking, I recommend the '877. This will give you 24 I/O for the steppers alone, and I2C SPI or USART for communication. You will also have some ADC inputs available for power monitoring.

There are some questions I still have though. What is the maximum speed you will want for the motors? This may determine whether all the motors can be controlled by one chip.

After all these you will end up with a step motor driver. Why not spend some money and purchse driver and put your time on other issues. This is if you don't want to design a step motor driver of course but if you do the way is what our friend posted so far.

Regards

steve_rb has a point.. Where I live, you can purchase driver IC from just 3€, and it can directly drive .5 A motor coil. 16F877A costs 5-6€, plus you need external FETs to drive the motor.

But if you insist on building your own, here are some guidelines for you:

Any SCH + PCB + Code to turn a PIC into a Bipolar stepper driver with half stepping ?

yaar use ucn5804 , it wil make ur task as easy as u can imagine
werna lund per char

Well is not that easy, each motor stepper driver cost at least 4€ plus the external FET´s couse my motors use 1,5 Amp. The easiest (for me) way is to control them by 2 micros, are cheaper and smaller. Don´t know exactly what to use if a ´877 or a couple of ´818.

The velocity is not a problem, I want to drive a robotic arm so it wouldn´t go very fast, and also with a couple of ´818 will drive two motors at the same time or I can program the PIC to alternate the steps betwen the motors.

@akvii

I want to use PIC to implement a Bipolar stepper driver with half stepping.

Laand pe chaar ho to kya, humko koi matlab nahi...

USE PIC16F84A, DEFINETELLY YOU HAVE TO DO MULTIPLEXING IN ORDER TO CONTROL 6 MOTORS, USING MORE PICS IS JUST INCREASING YOUR EXPENDITURES AND THATS NOT A GOOD THING. A GOOD ENGINEER IS ONE WHO MAKES THE COST EFFECTIVE THING. DEAR IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO MULTIPLEXING THEN LET ME KNOW, I WILL SEND U A MANUAL WHICH WILL GIVE YOU THE CODE OF MULTIPLEXING, BUT FOR THE TIME BEING TRY TO DO YOURSELF BECAUSE IT MIGHT BE A GOOD EXPERIENCE IF U TRY IT YOURSLEF

how can i using RF to control the remote control car..got any schematics and programing code.thanks

USE PIC16F84A, DEFINETELLY YOU HAVE TO DO MULTIPLEXING IN ORDER TO CONTROL 6 MOTORS, USING MORE PICS IS JUST INCREASING YOUR EXPENDITURES AND THATS NOT A GOOD THING. A GOOD ENGINEER IS ONE WHO MAKES THE COST EFFECTIVE THING. DEAR IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO MULTIPLEXING THEN LET ME KNOW, I WILL SEND U A MANUAL WHICH WILL GIVE YOU THE CODE OF MULTIPLEXING, BUT FOR THE TIME BEING TRY TO DO YOURSELF BECAUSE IT MIGHT BE A GOOD EXPERIENCE IF U TRY IT YOURSLEF

I am a new member.I am a student in mechatronics Engineering in Netherlands.
I read the discussion about stepper motor control and I am really interested to learn
about the multiplexing.It might help me quite a lot in the coming months.
In fact, by february I have to do an internship and i found an assignment that I like.
However I am not acquaintant with multiplexing motors drivers (cost-effective advantage and pcb space reduced considerably) mainly with high-speed chip control and taking into account EMC for printers.
So if you can help me prepare myself in that direction,it will great,so that i can applied for the assignment and be confident when the moment will come.

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back