Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Media players in suse 10.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pd

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
download lame-3.97-1.i586

Hi all,
Actually I recently installed suse 10.1 in my system.I have installed almost every package in the dvd.But still I can't run any audio or video file.Sound and graphics are running fine.But although some programs get invoked in I click on the media files but they don't run.How can I run them?
Thanks,
pd

vlc jack suse rpm 10.2

Hey pd the reason for this is that most media formats are property and not open source. Do this:
go to packmans site and download libxine or xine-lib the xine that comes with suse is cripled.
Allso get all dependacy packages ones that won't show up on packmans site are mp3lame and toolame (this is for mp2). Another choice is to install a precompiled version of mplayer, a version that is build with css and mpeg support! ;-)

pd

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi III,
I couldn't find any package u told in packmans site.Can you plaese send me the exact sites where I can download the direct packages.I am actually a newbie in linux.So please help me on this from the basics.
Thanks again,
pd

This is the main link for xine-lib:
http://packman.links2linux.org/package/xine-lib/21338
Get xine-lib and all of the dependencies packages you may also down xine-ui from here as I think it's a nice GUI.

For Encrypted DVD support get libdvdcss from:
**broken link removed**
also get libmpeg2, libmad and a52dec from the same site!
If during install you get a dependency problem search for that package here:
http://packman.links2linux.org/search
or at google
Hope this helps!

pd

Yes III,
I downloaded all the packages> I think the command to use them is
rpm -icv <file names>.
But it's not working and do I need to rpm on all or I should be selective?
Thanks,
pd

Yes it is. But why not use the kpackage app (install it it's part of kde don't know in what kde package it is search yast for it) it will tell you what dependencies are not satisfied and if there are eny package conflicts.
There is an xine version distributed with suse and you can't remove it as a few other packages depend on it so you must upgrade i.e. overwrite it.
These are the packages that I use om my box:
W32codec-0.52-1.i386.rpm
a52dec-0.7.4-2.0.i586.rpm
faac-1.25-2.0.i586.rpm
faad2-2.5-2.0.i586.rpm
lame-3.97-1.i586.rpm
libcaca-0.9_0.99.beta11-0.pm.0.i586.rpm
libdvdcss-1.2.9-2.0.i586.rpm
libmad-0.15.1b-2.0.i586.rpm
libmpeg2-0.0.1145-2.0.i586.rpm
libtheora-1.0alpha7-0.pm.0.i586.rpm
libxine1-1.1.3-0.pm.0.i586.rpm
libxine1-aa-1.1.3-0.pm.0.i586.rpm
libxine1-arts-1.1.3-0.pm.0.i586.rpm
libxine1-directfb-1.1.3-0.pm.0.i586.rpm
libxine1-dvb-1.1.3-0.pm.0.i586.rpm
libxine1-gnome-vfs-1.1.3-0.pm.0.i586.rpm
libxine1-jack-1.1.3-0.pm.0.i586.rpm
libxine1-sdl-1.1.3-0.pm.0.i586.rpm
libxine1-stk-1.1.3-0.pm.0.i586.rpm
libxine1-syncfb-1.1.3-0.pm.0.i586.rpm
libxine1-xvmc-1.1.3-0.pm.0.i586.rpm
twolame-0.3.9-0.pm.1.i586.rpm
x264-0.0svn20061031-1.i586.rpm
xvid-1.1.2-0.pm.0.i586.rpm

some of them are older, the win32 one is over two years old it has win decoders for windows media but it's not needed eny more as xine has wmv support (via ffmpeg)

Added after 30 minutes:

And I almost forgot the only package U really need is libxine1 the rest are various plugins for visualization and different types of output like sdl (simple direct media) etc...

pd

Hi III,
I tried all.But it's giving many dependancy ewrrors.I don't know how can I go forward.

Only install the xine-lib noting else,
write down the dependencies and search for them on your install cd most of them should be there!
And if noting else works get the xine-lib source package from http://xinehq.de/
extract the gzip archive and do as root:

./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install

Hey III,
I also tried that....But didn't work.I think the problem is even though I have got all rpms I don't know any order in which I have to run them.

And another player I heard is good is mplayer.Do you have any idea on that.And if u can tell which is the source and it's dependancies and the order of installation(both for xine and mplayer) it would really help.

Yes it is and get the rpm from packmans site listed above, and with mplayer you'll need to get a few other packages like mp3lame and toolame, faac and so on!

Why not make a screen shot of kpackage's output and post it here, I had no problems with xine on suse 9.1 and 10.2

I forgot to mention this earlier but in order to satisfy dependencies you can use drag and drop to drop multiple files in kpackage's window.

Hi III,
Kpackage seems to be having scope for all the softwares in the original cd.I couldn't figure out how to add other packages in that.Any ways I have attached a snapshot of the error I am getting.After so much fight I just want just one player.I have tried real gold 10,vlc,xine,mplayer.But no thing is working.I don't know what is the problem.Please help.
And also I just went thru all the instructions of xine to install.
http://xinehq.de/index.php/faq#BUILDREQUIREMENTS
But it's not working even now.The commands I tried were
cd /hhome/pd/
tar xfvz xine-lib-1.1.4.tar.bz2
ldconfig
./configure
make
make install
./autogen.sh

I also ran xine-check
which gave me a warning that I have got two versions of xine.So I just deleted all the folders with the name xine in /etc/bin/ and repeated the whole process.But now the xine command is also not working.

My friend U got some steps backwords:
First do
./autogen.sh
./configure
make
su
******(your pass)
make install
ldconfig
A few players need xine so yast won't let you uninstall the original package if U don't hava a new rpm, this is not good.
First clean the package you installed!
if you didn't delite the folder where U compiled it go there and do:
su
make uninstall
ldconfig

now open yast2 and check for package problems, for example missing files yast shuld detect them and reinstall the apropriate packages.
Now copy all of the files U downloaded from packman's site to a dir in your home. Start in to kde go to the dir you copyed the files and with right clicking on xine-lib chose something simular to install package with yast. Yast will check the deppendencies and if they're satisfies by files in the current dir it will install fine.
If you can't install it like this start kpackage and with drag and drop drop all these rpm's in the kpackages window.
And again if you can't install it like this go to the dir where you untarred the sources and do:
./autogen.sh
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
su
checkinstall

Did U notice the difference? checkinstall is an app that makes rpm's from build binaries (install checkinstall from yast first, it's a console application wich requires root priveligies to run ;) ) if all went well go to /usr/src/packages/RPMs/i386 (or i586 or amd depending on your hardware) and find the xine package you built. Now install this package with yast or kpackage and replace the egzisting packages, things shuld be fine now I home :D

pd

Hi III,
Thanks for the help.I will try that again .But in the mean time after I got an overview of what are the steps to install I again installed real player today.And it is now able to play audio songs.But there are some problems.If I type "realplay" it doesn't work.But if I go the place from where I installed real player I find a file called "realplay" and that runs.Another problem is that it doesn't play video.I tried to play a ".dat" file.It didn't play.Do I need to do anything more to play them in real player?
Thanks again,
pd

realplayer is not in your path, to be able to start it from a console do:
go to the dir where realplay is (search it with: >whereis realplay) now do:
ln -s realplay /home/<your_name>/bin/reaplay
that makes a symbolic link in your path.
To be able to play dvd's you need a mpeg2 decoder and the libdvdcss decoder library get them from:
**broken link removed**
and while you're there get the videolan player **broken link removed**
realplayer is a property app and doesn't interact well with linux libraries, vlc (video lan) is a standallone multimedia player capable of playing diofferent audio and video formats including mp2, mp3, aac, mpeg 1, 2 and 4 video and so on.
And if you get eny dependancy problems you can get the packages from the same place :)

pd

Ya, exactly.
The real player is not that smooth.I also felt that.
I have downloaded all the files from the site.
Let me verify what I should do to install.If I am wrong som where please inform.

So I need to run these commands after copying the file
vlc-0.8.6-2.1.i586.rpm to suppose the directory /home/pd/vlc/.
rpm -Uvh vlc-0.8.6-2.1.i586.rpm
Then it should be done.Right.
But after that what command I should run to invoke vlc?
Thanks,
pd.

Hey III,
I tried all those commands after downloading the files in the page u said.But when I installed I got the following..

Command used-------------
rpm -Uvh vlc-0.8.6-2.1.i586.rpm x264-devel-0.54.598-2.0.i586.rpm faac-devel-1.25-2.0.i586.rpm faad2-devel-2.5-2.0.i586.rpm faac-1.25-2.0.i586.rpm faad2-2.5-2.0.i586.rpm libmad-0.15.1b-2.0.i586.rpm libmad-devel-0.15.1b-2.1.i586.rpm ffmpeg-0.0.6980-2.0.i586.rpm ffmpeg-devel-0.0.6980-2.0.i586.rpm a52dec-0.7.4-2.0.i586.rpm a52dec-devel-0.7.4-2.0.i586.rpm libdca-0.0.2.35-2.0.i586.rpm libdca-devel-0.0.2.35-2.0.i586.rpm xvidcore-1.1.2-2.0.i586.rpm xvidcore-devel-1.1.2-2.0.i586.rpm libdvdcss-1.2.9-2.0.i586.rpm libdvdcss-devel-1.2.9-2.0.i586.rpm x264-0.54.598-2.0.i586.rpm
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Result-------------------------
error: Failed dependencies:
libavahi-client.so.3 is needed by vlc-0.8.6-2.1.i586
libavahi-common.so.3 is needed by vlc-0.8.6-2.1.i586
libdvdnav.so.4 is needed by vlc-0.8.6-2.1.i586
libdvdread.so.3 is needed by vlc-0.8.6-2.1.i586
libmpeg2.so.0 is needed by vlc-0.8.6-2.1.i586
libnotify.so.1 is needed by vlc-0.8.6-2.1.i586
libxosd.so.2 is needed by vlc-0.8.6-2.1.i586

And I searched for all those packages and downloaded from the site
https://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/index.html
But one confusion is for each file there are a lot of rpms.Will anything work?Or which file I should choose?

Well libmpeg2.so.0 can be found here **broken link removed**

libdvdread.so.3 can be found on the install cd in the package libdvdread-0.9.4-###.i586.rpm or get it here
ftp://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/opens...ource/suse/i586/libdvdread-0.9.4-160.i586.rpm

The same goes for libdvdnav.so.4 it's part of the package libdvdnav-0.1.10-###.i586.rpm or
ftp://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/opens...source/suse/i586/libdvdnav-0.1.10-14.i586.rpm

Install these two packages from the install cd's, ### means build version and it's not that important.

libnotify.so.1 is allso part of the base suse distro install it from the cd package libnotify-0.3.2-15.i586.rpm or the url ftp://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/opens...-source/suse/i586/libnotify-0.3.2-15.i586.rpm

the same for libxosd.so.2 search yast for xosd (xosd-2.2.12-17.i586.rpm) ftp://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/opens...inst-source/suse/i586/xosd-2.2.12-17.i586.rpm
libavahi-client.so.3 and libavahi-common.so.3 are part of the package avahi-0.6.5-27.i586.rpm (I belive it's on the cd) or get it here ftp://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/opens...inst-source/suse/i586/avahi-0.6.5-27.i586.rpm

Added after 4 minutes:

before downloading anything from the net search yast for the apropriate package name: avahi, libnotify, libdvdnav, libdvdread etc if they're not packaged on the install cd's get them from the links above.
ps. for searching rpm's on the net try this site:
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/2/simple/2

Added after 23 minutes:

after installing vlc try to update xine all dependencies should be fine now

Hi III,
I couldn't get the point
search yast
.If I am giving all the file names of the rpms in the command line for installing eg. rpm -Uvh vlc-0.8.6-2.1.i586.rpm x264-devel-0.54.598-2.0.i586.rpm ..... then I should have all in the working directory.Right?Then how can I use the content of the cd in the installation process?Is there any way to check within my cds to test for the missing dependancies and use them for installation?

My friend yast2 actualy is a gui SUSE managment application wich can be used to manage your entire system from hardware to software.
Yast allready has a database of all the rpm's that are included on the cd's yast is not a frontend to rpm.
To start yast from a terminal do this:
as an ordinary user
$>xhost + (This allows the root user acess to the gui x server)
>sudo /sbin/yast2 (or sudo /sbin/yast for the console version of the installer)
From the gui that apears sellect software managment and a new window will apear from wich you can search for the above mentioned packages.

My isp's firewall blocks image uploads so unfortinetly can't help you with a screenshot!:cry:

well I found this screen shot on the web
yast2-sw-single.gif

pd

Status
Not open for further replies.