Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I extract resistance,capacitance,and inductance from S-parameters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nghalion

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Guys...
How can I extract resistance,capacitance,and inductance from S-parameters..
I keep finding these papers and they all conatain this phrase "the S-parameters were fitted into an RLC circuit model"...I want to do the same thing to get the values of RLC of a structure modeled in HFSS..
Please help

Thank You

s parameter to rlc model

Hello nghalion,

The attached document on TESTING S-PARAMETERS FOR TYPICAL PASSIVE CIRCUITS (3TestSpars4Circuits.pdf) discusses about this issue...

You can do
Effective Inductance (nH) of a Series RL network
L(nH)=1.0E9 * imag( 1 / Y11) / ( 2*PI* FREQ )
Series Inductance (nH) between any pair of ports assuming a PI-model
L(nH)=-1.0E9 * imag( 1 / Y21) / ( 2*PI* FREQ )

Effective Capacitance (pF) of a Series RC network
C(pF)=-1.0E12 / ( 2*PI* FREQ * imag( 1 / Y11) )
Series capacitance (pF) between any pair of ports assuming a PI-model
C(pF)=1.0E12 / ( 2*PI* FREQ * imag( 1 / Y21) )

---manju---

Reactions: MeJay

MeJay

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
s-parameter to rlc model

There are software packages that fit RLC equivalent circuits to S-parameters, such as **broken link removed**.

Microwave Office and Sonnet will also. I believe Ansoft sells a seperate package to do this.

Using good judgement you can come up with an equivalent RLC circuit by hand and run an optimizer to fit it to the s-parameters.

calculating rlc s-parameters

the BoardSpice from Sigrity can fit very excellent results , then the extract RLC model can run under HSpice , try it
But , do precisious measurement is a the first and the most important key Step !!

fitting s-parameters into rlc

I thank You all for ur replies..but I'm still a bit confused here..

Exactly which parameters should I plot in HFSS (S, Y, or Z) and in what function (im, re, mag, dB..etc.) and at which frequencies should I apply the equations provided by Manjunatha_hv

I provided the S-parameters (dB) earlier, and here is a pic of the project in HFSS..

Thanx in advance

r l c equivalent fitting

Hello nghalion,

Is this capacitive MEMS Switch or CPW structure ?...
upload the DXF file with dielectric layer details I will try to help using may be Microwave Office or Sonnet ( if it is planar structure)...

You need to plot Im of Y parameters to use with the mentioned equations....

---manju---

s-parameters rlc

Hi manju,

It's a capacitive shunt switch but this is not my original project. I'm working on this one for it's simplicity. Unfortunately I don't know how to to create a DXF file of it because the model was made in HFSS and no export to DXF option is available. I heard that it is possible to fit the S-parameters into RLC in MATLAB. I don't know if someone has a code for the operation but anyways, thanks alot for your help..

nghalion

Added after 3 minutes:

Forgot to say that it's a capacitive Mems shunt switch positioned on top of a CPW..
And I must find S-parameters in both Up-state and Down-state and the equivalent circuit model for each case..

Thanks

Re: S-parameters to RLC

exactly !!
broadspice do great convert to RLC from S

it is wonderful !!!

Re: S-parameters to RLC

Hi there,

I am facing similar problem RLC extraction from S-Parameter. I understand that the inductance of a simple RF MEMS switch is abt 7pH for a 80um wide armature over a 60um/100um/60um CPW. However when I extract it using Sonnet with the effective inductance formula, the value is about 30pH.

Can anyone please help to enlighten me on this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back