Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is a clock gating error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahboobulhaque2004

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is clock gating error?
what is the significance of AND gate in clock gating?

Re: about clock gating

being in education my first response is DO YOUR OWN Homework, but at the same time i like helping people, gating error is caused by gate pulses being delayed through a network

because of and gata in clock gating there may chances of gliches in clock which is finally fed to flip flop

about clock gating

clock gating is helpful in power reduction

hey
Clock gating is one way of providing control signal in a sequential system.
For example, if we want a flip flop to work only at certain timing instant then clock going through it can be and gated with a control signal which will go high only in that timing interval.
having said that, clock gating is a bad idea to use (for several reasons like delay introduced by and gate which lead to synchronization problems).There are more elegant ways to provide control signals.For example, in a D-flop and the input signal(the D signal) with the control signal and let clock come to it ungated.
Hope I'm making myself clear.Please Refer to a text on Digital Design for more details.

Regards
tronix

I agree with tronix. Clock gating is a method of controling Flip Flops through their clock terminals. Althogh simple, Clock gating is not advisable since it makes the synchronous circuit partially asynchronous.

The Joy of Electronics said:
I agree with tronix. Clock gating is a method of controling Flip Flops through their clock terminals. Althogh simple, Clock gating is not advisable since it makes the synchronous circuit partially asynchronous.

1st off, clock gating SEEMS simple, but it is not. Because of side effect complex issues - such as Tighter Clock Tree Skew Control, DFT, and STA. But prudent work will overcome all these issues.

2nd - "Clock gating is not advisable" - that was true several years ago.
This isn't the case anymore with Modern ASIC/VLSI design, were Power savings is very crucial.
Clock Gating is today a common prefered practice for Power saving.

refer some Digtal integrated books

An AND Gate is required in clock gating because u need to allow the clock only when ur gating control signal is ON.....

Status
Not open for further replies.