Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Storaging data into HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

macakolo

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hail,

I have a question which related to some basic concept whihc I am not familiar with, would like to seek for advice:

1. I am working on a solution which need to store a large amount of digital voice data into a HDD via FPGA, and we dont want to use a OS system. In this case, how does the archive data shall be if we want to retrieve data from the HDD??
2. Because no OS system inside, how do we able to manage ALL those data (files) inside the storage space??

Thanks,

We have 2 option PATA HDD and SATA HDD

1st PATA

4 this i think parallel AT interface in required in FPGA, n from there we can connect hard disk drive.
Now how to take video dataas input? for that processor or controller is needed, tell me how u r taking ur video data in????
Morover file system is required so that u can view ur video data as file in ur HDD, for that file system has to be written in fpga (i mean this is processor function in fpga)

2nd SATA

for this we should have sata interface in fpga. n same thing what we r doing with pata can be applicable...sorry i dont no more abt sata...im searching material on SATA....

This is my idea.....please correct me if im wrong...comments are welcome...

regards....

why not use the USB device or SATA device?

You can use some chips to realize the USB or SATA protocol.

Thought about using a USB / SATA chip but ALL of them need to work with an OS system which I dont plan to have one.

And also I am not famailar on the data side, how a non-file data can be store / retrieve from the device (HDD).

Any suggestion please!!

Using a USB/SATA chip don't need to work with an OS system.

| FPGA|<=======>| CHIP | <=======>| HDD |
.............simple bus.................... usb/sata

You just make sure to organize your valid data and use the "simple bus" to read/write data from/to the HDD.

Can you explain how you get your vedio data?

SATA - USB Possible......

for that USB OTG is required in FPGA. now for OTG u have to write HDL for serial interface engine (sie) in fpga and as far as phy layer is concern there is it required to use PHY chip. with this u can connect ur sata HDD and transfer the data.....

Thank you so much for ALL your inputs, which is very helpful.

But I still have one question left, I am getting some audio signal from a AD and use a DSP to compress, and than transfer out to a FPGA via the memory bus channel.

Up to this part all data will be compressed into a G726 format, but not as a file type. The part I dont understand is how this 0101010 data can be stored onto a HDD media?? Because I only know the .wav / mp3 / etc in Windows, but without the OS, I dont know what this should be??

Can you explain the relationship here for me please!!

The data stored in the HDD is in the "block unit" size. Commonly, each block is about 512 bytes. So you must change your "010101" data into bytes, then into "block unit" to store in the HDD.

Don't worry about the file format. You can design your own but you must make sure you can explain the data when you read them out.

Thanks, inside this 512bytes, do we still need some portions as the header / footer for each block to identify the link for the next location??

And I need to read it out from HD to a server - Windows, does the OS will handle all these little blocks and make them into one file??

I think, it depends on your function you want.

You can put the compressed data into the HD sequencely using FPGA. The HD JUST stores the data. Let the OS do the logic thing. I think you must write the driver, so you do the logic right thing in it.

All in all, you must keep in mind how your data is stored in the HDD and using the driver to cope with the "rule" you arrange the data.

Hail, u have any recommendation for the chip on this purpose??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back