Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RS485 Bus Power Supply Short Circuit Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
power supply short circuit protection schematic

I am building a RS485 network with 4 lines. Data lines A ,B, V+ power and GND ground. The electronic circuit breaker post lead me to an EDN article that got me thinking about providing short circuit protection on the V+ line. This would protect the circuit when I add or remove devices from the active bus (Hot swap boards).

The problem is that the article Current limit protects power bus https://www.edn.com/archives/1997/121897/26di_07.htm is ten years old and the schematic resolution is too low to make out many of the parts numbers or values.

I looked for "short circuit portection" via google and for parts on Mouser but did not find anything quite like it.

I can look further but perhaps someone here has a helpful suggestion to point me in the right direction.

3v0

rs485 short circuit protection

You use one common 5V regulator or place regulators on every node ?
If common, protection is build in regulator.

rs485 for power bus

---en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HART_Protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.