Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

When two or more frequencies are orthogonal to each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
orthogonal frequencies

I do not well understand you question but the two functions f and g are said to be orthogonal is and only if <f,g> = 0

can you clarify your question?

orthogonality of frequencies

hi,
essentialy two functions fi(t) and fj(t) in a signal space F : (f1, f2, ... , fN) are said to be orthogonal if :

fi(t)fj(t)dt=0 if i≠j and =norm(fi(t))² if i=j

the integration is carried out from -∞ to +∞ .

for two sinusoids cos(2πf1t) and cos(2πf2t) the orthogonality holds when frequencies f1 and f2 are harmonics of a basic frequency f0 , i.e. :
f1=mf0 and f2=nf0.

it's that simple
:D:D:D

plz press "helped me" if it was helpful for you.

regards

condiction of frequencies orthogonal

Frequencies are scalars. Scalars cannot be orthogonal.

two signals are said to be orthogonal if

mathuranathan said:
jasmin_123 said:
Frequencies are scalars. Scalars cannot be orthogonal.

True.. frequencies are not orthogonal but the signals are orthogonal if they satisfy the frequency relation.

Are you sure? Which relation?

orthogonal frequency are harmonics

I don't agree the replies above.
SIGNALS with some different frequencies ARE orthogonal.

signal with two frequencies orthogonal

nonanona said:
I don't agree the replies above.
SIGNALS with some different frequencies ARE orthogonal.

two pure sinosuids are orthogonal in the same time interval if and only if they are harmonics of a base frequency.(as i told above)

of course other types of orthogonality exists ; fore example these two signals are orthogonal :

Code:
s1(t)=f(t) , 0<t<T/2
s1(t)=0 , T/2<t<T
s1(t)=0 , anywhere else

s2(t)=0 , 0<t<T/2
s2(t)=g(t) , T/2<t<T
s2(t)=0 , anywhere else

f(t) and g(t) are arbitrary functions and regardless of what they are , s1 and s2 are orthogonal.

can you bring an example of what you are claiming ?

regards

Orthogonal Frequency

always the signals are orthogonal not frequency. generally two orthogonal signals are used for frequency Reuse porpose. for example signals heaving same frequency are 90 degree phase shiffted whith each other for frequcency reuse when bandwidth widths are no more available.

Re: Orthogonal Frequency

from a non-techical point of view orthogonal means they are seperate by 90 degrees in the space.
on technical terms two or more functions ( signals ) are said to be orthogonal if they are perpendicular to each other and one function(signal) cannt be expressed in terms of other function. they are mutually exclusive.

correct me if i am wrong.

thanks in advance.

Orthogonal Frequency

Orthogonality means inner product of 2 signals to be zero.
any signal which has such characteristic for a set of other signals can be used to expand other signals.
like in Fourier transform energy limited signals can be expanded by means of exponential basis.
Or 2 signal have 90 degree or Pi/2 phase difference like sine and cosine functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.