Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5Ghz cmos integrated VCO design

Status
Not open for further replies.

henryhd

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i meet a problem:that is how can i choose the mosFET when i want to design a VCO operated at 5 GHz ?i try to do it,but i can't find the mos i want....help me!kindhearted gentlemen or ladys or girls! i want a detail example about vco or oscillator by ADS or Hspice urgently! notice:5Ghz cmos integrated design! Thank you very much!

For off chip VCO or On-chip VCO?

My 5 cents worth:

Generally, I not think that you would find a VCO at 5Ghz in Hspice.

I personally have not implemented a VCO before but I guess you should started by characterizing your MOS transistor in your PDK to know the cutoff frequency (RF MOS is used most frequently for these application). If the Q factors for your passive components are not given in your PDK, then you would have to do the chacterizing.

After characterization is done, selected the type of architecture which you want Colpitts or Hartley. This would lead you to your design equations, from which you know what is required to achieved the oscillation which you want.

what's the different bewteen the off chip and on chip?

Added after 2 minutes:

if there isn't the mos i need,how can i set up ?for example ,in ADS.

In off-chip VCO you can use a high Q tank, but in on-chip, your tank should have on-chip passive elements with low Q.

henryhd said:
i meet a problem:that is how can i choose the mosFET when i want to design a VCO operated at 5 GHz ?i try to do it,but i can't find the mos i want....help me!kindhearted gentlemen or ladys or girls! i want a detail example about vco or oscillator by ADS or Hspice urgently! notice:5Ghz cmos integrated design! Thank you very much!

Why can't? bad performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.