Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to simulate distortion in pspice 5.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wenye

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Distortion simulation

Hello guys,

I'm now going on an amplifier project, I can simulate the ferquency responds, offset, overshort, and so on but distortion via a dos version pspice (5.0).

Can anyboday tell me how to simulate distortion in this version of pspice?

Is there any better choice for distortion simulation?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Distortion simulation

Definition of THD
-----------------
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) is the ratio of the harmonic power to the power at the measured peek. In the following equation, v1 is the RMS value at the peek frequency and v2, v3, …, vn are RMS values at the harmonics.
THD = sqrt (v2^2 + v3^2 + … + vn^2) / v1

Definition of THD with noise
----------------------------
Total Harmonic Distorsion + Noise (THD + N) is the ratio of the harmonic power plus noise to the power of the measured peek. THD + N values will almost always be greater than the THD values for the same signal.
THD + N = sqrt (sum of squares of RMS values excluding measured peek) / (RMS value of measured peek)

Thank you sir.

I understand what distortion is it.

My question is how to simulate it in a traditional software.

I'd try to simulate it with fourier funtion of spice. But it seems that the analysis' result is strongly affect by dc offset...... :?

spice problems

Spice is not so good for low distortion. You will have to use the .option type statement to make the tolerances smaller. You will also have to specify smaller time steps. Make the time duration of the analysis a large interger multiple of the period of the input signal. Once all of this is done you should get better results. Do not expect to see distortion terms lower than 60 or 80 dB down. This is a shortcoming of spice.

The main source of error in the simulation is amplitude errors at each point. Decreasing the tolerance parameters will make spice spend more time at each point getting a better value. The main error in the FFT is that it uses evenly spaced time points. Spice does not do even points. A straight line interpolation is used to get the value at the points. When the spice time points are closer together there is less error in the interpolations.

Hi, flatulent,

Thank you for your reply.

I think -80dB limited of THD is not good for many audio application.
And, how can i simulate the IMD ( inter-modulation distortion ) ?

Can you recommend me what software can perform these work better ?

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back