Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to connect USB device to a PC without USB port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chintan_jagani

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to use a USB device on my computer but I do not have a USB port on my computer. Is there any way to connect a USB device to a RS232 port? Can I design it myself using USB compatible microcontroller?

Re: conecting USB device

There are Addon USB Interface Card on the market

hi

there are pci cards that provide u with usb interface

also there is usb to rs232 converters but i think pci cards are better solutions

the simplest way would be to buy a serial to usb convertor which is readily available and is also nt very expensive.. but if u want to design it on your own you use a converter chip like FT232 etc.

Hope it helps.

chintan_jagani said:
I want to use a USB device on my computer but I do not have a USB port on my computer.
That means you need an USB host (not an USB device)!!!

evl_inside said:
the simplest way would be to buy a serial to usb convertor which is readily available and is also nt very expensive.. but if u want to design it on your own you use a converter chip like FT232 etc.
No, these are USB devices (not hosts) to which a serial device can be connected. A USB device can't be connected to these converters.

So the simplest way would be, as already proposed, to buy a USB addon card.

Mik

conecting USB device

The PCI cards generate a lot of adress problems at least this is my personnal experience with them. yes there is a possibility to designe a such convertisor (RS232-USB) using a microcontroler. but it's not so easy! but you can find such device already to be bought!

There are lots of PCI add-on cards on the market, some of them are exhibiting problems, but most of them are working pretty well. The microcontroller solution isn't suitable at all, no need to waste your time studying how to implement a USB host, and even if you do, you'll end up having too little processing power.

Every solution has its advantages and disadvantages:

A. Adding USB host-controller hardware (PCI Add-on Card) needs operating system that supports USB (eg. Windows 98 or later). Also as we know that PCI slots have a power allowance of 10 watts, so more load on the power supply and more heat will be generated inside the system.

B. Using a converter to USB (RS-232, parallel...) isn’t normally an option when the PC has the legacy interface.

Hi,

You can design a module which contains the Serial port Interface a controller and USB interface. Very low end controller can be used to convert the serial port data into USB data format and visa versa.

If you need more details, contact me.

Regards,

N. Muralidhara

CRL-BEL

Status
Not open for further replies.