Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

mobile phone battery charger always connected to the phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

polarized

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
mobile phone always on charge bad

Hi,

I plan to use a mobile phone in a specific kind of application. It has to work all the time and it is not operated by man, but it serves in an automated system together with a microcontroller. My problem is the power supply of the phone. Is it a good idea to leave the battery charger(220V or the automobile version) all the time connected to the mobile phone, or it would be a better idea to disconnect the battery and supply the phone only from the battery charger? Are there some possible negative and side effects if the battery charger is always connected to the mobile, I mean the heating of the charger, or some effects on the batterys or whatever else ...

Regards.

batteries inside mobile phone side effect

If you use the charger that came with the phone it will not overcharge the battery. The unknown is what it does as the battery discharges. You should consult the directions or the manufacturer to find out if it will let the battery go dead or if it will keep it charged. Some chargers turn off when full charge is reached.

what happens if phone battery always on charge

The battery will have definitely seen its last days if you leave the supply connect. The battery charger is only a transformer from AC-DC. Think its best to make some modification to the phone to enable to use direct DC power.

Element7k

The phone must have a battery charging controller if it uses a Li-Ion battery. There will be no problems when leaving the power supply connected the whole time.

by,
cube007

battery charging controller for mobile phones

Hi,

Regarding the battery charging controller, where should I expect to find it: inside the battery charger or inside the mobile phone itself? I want to experiment on Siemens MT50 phone or similar phones like C45, C35 etc... Is there a bad effect on the charger itself because evidently it dissipates power or when the battery is charged it turns itself off?

Regards.

Hello polarized,

I know that the charging controller of Siemens mobile phones are alsways inside the phone. You only plug a power supply to the phone when charging it.
Sorry, but I don't know more about the charging technology.

by,
cube007

Re: mobile phone battery charger always connected to the pho

You know that it's possible to control the state of the battery charge whit some simple AT-commands? Then you can disconnect and reconnect the battery charger when the battery reach a certain % of charge (e.g.: connect at 5%, disconnect at 95%). All the Si3m3ns phones you want to use have the commands you need to do the task, don't ask me what these are, search the AT commands for GSM reference, i'm sure that if you are working on GSM phones, you know this document.

All the best

Re: mobile phone battery charger always connected to the pho

You really need to find out what kind of bettery you've got first. Lithium Polymers can only be charged/recharged a certain number of times before they have to be changed. Most mobile phones I have examined have NI-MH.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back