Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why PCB color is Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmanojnair

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pcb color

Hello Friends,

I am Manoj V , working as a internet security engineer. I have a doubt regarding Printed Circuit Board.

Why All the PCB's are in Green color ?

Hope i get right answer.

Thanks

Manoj V

pcb colors

Those Green color are called soldermask.They are available in many colors including Green & black.
The purpose is to protect the Cu layer from corrosion and provide good insulation.

black solder mask

Dindeds,

Thanks for your fast reply :)

green pcb

you can also have PCB's in Black or white color. the color of the board depends on the solder mask

black soldermask

The solder mask could be yellow or red too. It depends on customer requirement.

Regards

why are pcbs green

color never affect the performance of the PCB, it may be tradition!

circuit board colors

dindeds said:
Those Green color are called soldermask.They are available in many colors including Green & black.
The purpose is to protect the Cu layer from corrosion and provide good insulation.

Most importantly - solder mask (as the name suggests) prevents the solder from bridging adjacent traces and pins. Not all circuit boards have solder mask, though. Many cheap boards in the power supplied don't have it.

solder mask color

Yes, solder mask is to avoid solder paste in between pads short together when pass through wave or reflow machine. Otherwise, the pcbA may damage due to short circuit when test by jigs.

On top of the solder mask, there is normally an addition white paint called silkscreen to print on it. ( Normally, critical areas e.g ic pads region, areas may easy to find short circuit ) The purpose is to give addition protection as well as shows reference designator number, pcb information etc.

According to latest European regulation they all MUST fullfil RoHS requirement.

pcb green

vmanojnair said:
Hello Friends,

I am Manoj V , working as a internet security engineer. I have a doubt regarding Printed Circuit Board.

Why All the PCB's are in Green color ?

Hope i get right answer.

Thanks

Manoj V

If you're referring to the physical green color of the board, it indicates it is made of glass-epoxy which is naturally greenish in color. Bakelite pcb is brown and is difficult to work with in regards to cutting, or sawing it to size. Glass-epoxy boards on the other hand are easy to work with and don't break or splinter.

If you're referring to the track-coating or film, it can be either black, green, or red.
It is just the color of the photosensitive film and can be basically any color. But is usually left green, black or red.

bakelite pcb

Hi,
You can have PCB's in many colors.
Thanks for all these information.

why are pcb green

medsalehi said:
Hi,
You can have PCB's in many colors.
Thanks for all these information.

But for display PCB usually better to be in black for the contrast.

pcb black solder mask

my pcb is brown
hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back