Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Internal HDD to External

Status
Not open for further replies.

Msakhy

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there

I want to build some sort of " connector " that I can use to convert my internal hard drive to an external one - at minimal cost ; by connecting it to my PC via the USB port (I tried to Google this topic - with no success). Has anyone done this or/and know how to go about doing this?

I can’t afford an external HDD, so this is my only solution. Your input in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Maximum IDE cable length is 18 inches, maximum SATA length is 1 meter. I would buy an ordinary inexpensive Firewire or USB2 drive enclosure, and put the drive inside. They work fine, but you usually can't boot from them.

Be sure to install a cooling fan.

You can boot from ext. usb device, just enable the Boot sequence to external source in the Bios setup. (Be sure to enable all the USB pheripherals options too...)

1>remove internal HDD
now you need two connection-power and data
2>power adapter is available in market for abt Rs. 100
its one end should be having connector as of hard disk
remember out of four pins only three pins are utilized
3>about data cable
u need a simple IDE to USB converter cable
4>first connect both the cables to hard disk
then switch on power and now connect the USB on ur computer
If u connect it before it will take only the converter cable and some unknown device
5>HDD is detected on USB except win98
ofcourse u can boot from this one if ur motherboard supports USB Booting
6> take HDD casing also to protect it

now the complete assembly is available with the casing in the market ofcourse not on the compny vendors.
checkout other low end market

USB 2.0 and USB 2.0/Firewire Hard Drive Enclosures
USB 2.0 hard drive cases are compatible with USB 1.1

**broken link removed**

Hi People

Thanks to everybody for your input, but I think most of you are running away from the problem.

1. I know that external HDDs, HDD cases and USB 2.0 to IDE connectors exist on the market but I want to build my own.

2. I need to find out how to design and build a circuit that converts USB 2.0 to IDE, i.e. I need a working schematic (and hopefully a Gerber file) with practical components to implement it!

This is the circuit that the HDD cases. you speak so highly off, use – which is probably patented!!!

Sorry for the late reply I’m currently writing exams!!!!!!!!

It wouldn't surprise me if all those controller chips are proprietary.
Oxford is one chip maker, but you need to contact them (and maybe sign an NDA) to get data sheets and application info:
**broken link removed**

IDE is becoming obsolete, so you may need to dig deeper to find discontinued devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back