Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to Converting coaxial cable Impedance from 75 to 50 Ohm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elits

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
coaxial cable impedance

Hi all,
I need a coaxial cable with impedance 50 Ohm. After looking at my local electronic store there is only 75 Ohm Coaxial cable. Is there any way to converting 75 Ohm Coaxial Cable into 50 Coaxial Cable ?? perhaps by adding some circuit?? Please help me. Thanks

Regards,
Elits

50 ohm to 75 ohm converter

A transformer, minimum loss attenuator, or LC network will work. If you do not know how to design these, you would be better off buying 50 ohm cable via the internet.

Your application might work with 75 ohm cable.

cable impedance

Code:
Impedance matching network usign resistors
The matching network shown below can be used to match two unequal impedances, provided that Z1 is grater than Z2. 

____
     ----|____|---+---------
           R1     |        
                 | |        
   Z1            | | R2     Z2
                 |_|        
                  |         
     -------------+----------

The resistor for this circuit can be calxulated using the following equations: 

R1 = Z1 - Z2*R2 / (Z2+R2)
  R2 = Z2 * sqrt(Z1) / (Z1-Z2)

The table below will show some precalculated values for some most common interfacing situations: 

Z1      Z2      R1      R2     Attenuation
 (ohm)   (ohm)   (ohm)   (ohm)   (dB)

75      50     42,3    82,5    5,7
  150      50      121    61,9    9,9
  300      50      274    51,1   13,4
  150      75      110     110    7,6
  300      75      243    82.5   11,4

Regards,
IanP

Reactions: JR_emc

JR_emc

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
75 ohm to 50 ohm balun

A balun converts between balanced and unbalanced, hence it's name.

50 to 75 ohm converter

You can convert the 75 Ohm coaxial cable to 50 ohm coaxial cable or vice versa by adding a Balun (Balanced Unbalanced) having impedance =sqaureroot of(75*50)

Or in other way you can use a transformer or a parallel resistor circuit .

75 ohm to 50 ohm converter

may i know what kind of adapter to used to convert coaxial cable impedance from 50ohm to 75 ohm

50 ohm to 75 ohm balun

balun trensfomer or quater wave tranformer transmission line can be used for impedance matching

50 to 75 ohm balun

Elits,
As IanP stated, a simple Resistor network can be used. However, this method results in power loss. A matching transformer will provide an impedance match with (theoretically) no loss. The turns ratio will be the square root of the impedance ratio. In your case, Sqrt(75/50) = 1.224. Others have mentioned the use of a balun. This would work, but is overly complex. Since both coaxial cables are unbalanced, the balanced - unbalanced feature provides no useful function. You probably won't be able to find a commercially available balun for 75:50 conversion.
Regards,
Kral

convert 75 ohm to 50 ohm

See if you can find a 50 ohm to 75 ohm matching transformer (I think it's quite common and avaliable in hardware stores).

Regards

75 to 50 ohm balun

I guess a quarter wave transformer will do the job....the impedance of the tansformer line would be sqrt(75*50)

Re: How to Converting coaxial cable Impedance from 75 to 50

Hi:
In TEST equipment if the outputs are set to 50ohm just put a 25 Ohm resistor in series and calculate the insertion loss. (Method recommended by Marconi Instruments)

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.