Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why in BJT the current in base equals zero but the current in collector has a value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aia

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i want to ask about the current in cut off region why the current in base equal zero but the current in collector has a value

Re: bjt

I believe there is a small misconception here.
As a first order approximation, in the cut off region Ic=Ib=Ie=0.
i.e. there is no current in the emitter branch

If we want a second order analysis, there is a small leakage current in the BJT during cut off, just like the reverse leakage current in the diode in the presence of non-zero voltage accross its terminals.

In the large signal model, we assume there is a leakage current through the emitter-base and collegector base junctions, but these currents are very small to be of practcal interest. (nA->pA's)

bjt

If you see very well the curves, that is not true.
Ib is not equal to cero it is called Iss but is very small. The only point where Ic= Ib = Ie = 0 is when Vbe = 0.

Re: bjt

If we neglect the leakage currents then there is no current that is flowing from collector to emitter. we know that base has very less width therefore chances for recombination in this region is very less therefore no current flows through base.
But if it has to be consider then current flows due to minority charge carriers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back