Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference b/w rheostat and potentiometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sreejith

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
difference between rheostat and potentiometer

Is there any difference between rheostats and potentiometers..? ,
on there purpose or construction or something else..
If so what is that..? If anyone knows please answer

thx in advance.. :D

difference between rheostat & potentiometer

sreejith,
A rheostat is a 2 terminal device. One terminal is connected to one end of the resistance element. The other terminal is connected to the wiper. A potentiometer is a 3 terminal device. Two terminals are connected to the ends of the resistance element. The third terminal is connected to the wiper. You can use a potentiometer as a rheostat simply by not using one of the terminals that are coneected to the end of the resistance element.
regards,
Kral

sreejith

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
potentiometer applications wikipedia

hello...

i think kral is telling in different way...
actually both are same.but Potentiometers used to control high power are normally called rheostats.where as for small powers we will use potentiometer .
genrally potentiometers are used in electronica applications where as rheostat for electrical.

what are the 3 pins on a rheostat

rheostat and potentiometer, they can be 2-pin or 3-pin, even higher pin, can act the same functions in the circuit.

However, as rheostat is made by resistance wire (wirewound) and its central point may be turned around (in the circular shape), slipped back and forth (in the tube shape), and potentiometer is made by compound materials and in most case its shape is circular and its central point is only turned arround.

As being made of resistance wire, rheostat can dissipate higher power, and working with the higher voltage/current than potentiometer.

I will find out the book I learnt this and let you know later.

nguyennam

thx to all for replying to this topic..

but i am slightly confused..
nguyennam, can u give me the text's name?

Have you heard of potetiometer experiment normally doing in physics labs? There we are using a big potentiometer, which i think can be used in highpower applications also. Why it is known as potentiometer?

Sorry you sreejith for keeping you waited a long time.

Please refer to pages 105 for potentiometer, 109 for rheostat, book "Teach yourself electricity and electronics", McGraw Hill. Many books define the same, but I just give you the name of the book from McGraw Hill, one of the most famous publisher, especially in practical action.

Between potentiometer and rheostat, there is a mixed using in daily using or in the different literatures, so just make clear the definitions, and understand what people are talking about.

Goodluck
nguyennam

sreejith

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back