Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why IC cover is black?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunalmis

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Most color of plastic package IC is black. Only some optocoupler's color is white.

Why IC color is black ?

bunalmis said:
Most color of plastic package IC is black. Only some optocoupler's color is white.

Why IC color is black ?
I guess the black is the best radiator.

1. The cover is slightly conductive which helps eliminate static accumulation.

2. The cover blocks light which would change the circuit operation by shining on the PN junctions inside.

From National Semiconductor LP5900 datasheet

"micro SMD LIGHT SENSITIVITY
Exposing the micro SMD device to direct light may cause incorrect operation of the device"

Thank you realy good answers.

Ok why some Japon transistor cases has green color?

For years the most common material had been the BAKELITE ..
And that "stuff" was alwys as black as the inside of your a ..
**broken link removed**

Why some transistors are green - nowadays you can find white bakelite, gray bakelite, red bakelite .. and green bakelite .. someone just likes that colour ..

Regards,
IanP

In my opinion, simply it is black just due to the tradition, as everybody does the same, and everybody gets used to that color.

The same question you may ask why PC/monitor/keyboard/mouse/other PC-related stuff have the ivory color, while laptops are black or darkgrey.

Recently, manufacturers seem to change color/geometery of some devices for easy regconization: optocoupler are ivory, some Japanese manufacturers make their TO-220 packages dark-green, the same with some European manufacturers make their TO-220 chambered.

nguyennam

IanP, that company is named "Bakelite", but their semiconductor packages are epoxy resin. That's the primary ingredient in most plastic IC packages.

I guess it is black because the transistors inside of IC are very sensitive to UV.

may be the reson of writing the part number and company name on a black case, is the most efficient way to clear it.

Maybe it's because Black color coordinates with everything?

Dave

Nobody uses bakellite for things like that its too hard too make.
The die is connected using silver filled modified epoxies (Cyanate Ester Blends) that is if they are not made fully of metal and just connected with an AuAl bond. The packaging can be made of different things: Standard its usually epoxy cresol novolac(ECN) or angular (and sometimes round) fused silica. Biphenyl epoxy is used for low moisture absorption systems.

Why is it black?- It radiates heat the best. Believe me there is a substantial difference between it being black or even gray and some of those ic even have internal heat exchange plates just beneath the upper side. Its probably easier to see the markings as well.

ic cover usally black so that light radiation will not interfer with the
working of the ic.

Bakelite ? I used to think it's epoxy...

And I have seen white, green , blue ICs by the way.

if u see the long history of valve bases, they were in black. Black is good for heat dissipation. But in those days the valve base were made of bakelite material which was very brittle. As the other engineering semicondutors & materials developed, also available many colours. Mainly the material used for ic encapsulation, is made by few companies. universally it was black colour preferred due to heat dissipation properties.
This is not fashion show but a technical product. some ceramic encapsulated transistors & ic's r available in white.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back