Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to design a frequency doubler

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhangseong

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
frequency doubler

i need a simple design of how to make the input frequency become double ...any circuit designer can help? i will appreciate if someone can give me a hand on this.

frequency multiplier circuit diagram

You need to specify your input frequency range.

Reactions: weeeed

weeeed

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
simple frequency doubler

a mixer followed by a high-pass filter?

frequency doubler circuit

Simple frequency doubler for squarewave.

analog frequency doubler

10kangstroms said:
You need to specify your input frequency range.

err....i am very new to circuit design....what specification should i concern about? about the frequency , i think as big as posible lo...hehe...but as long as i can maintain 50% duty cycle is the most important

Added after 31 minutes:

bunalmis said:

thanks for the circuit....but if my input has a high frequency ...for example 100Mhz.....can i use this circuit? if cannot , do you know what circuit can be used? thanks alot

will the output have a 50% duty cycle?

frequency doubler design

Hi
The are many methods for doubling a frequency
it depends on
1 the type of signal (square or sine or ...)
2 The range of the frequency (very low, low, medium, high, very high, hyper...)
3 The stability of the frequence you want to double (is it a single frequency ar many frequencies) what is the frequency range?

Methods I know are:
1 PLL (Phase locked loop)
2 Non linearity to produce hamonics of the signal (full wave rectifier for example) followed by an adequate filter
2 Mixer (in reality mixers translate the frequency, but you can considerate that Fx2 is the same as F+F) this method is also non linearity...
3 monostables trigged by rise edge and fall edge of the signal (square)

Hi

Added after 7 minutes:

I forgot...
If your signal is a random signal (speech for example) you can use FFT (fast fourrier transform) to double its frequency
it depends also if you want a real time response or not

good luck

frequency multiplier circuit design

zhangseong said:
...but if my input has a high frequency ...for example 100Mhz.....can i use this circuit? if cannot , do you know what circuit can be used? thanks alot

will the output have a 50% duty cycle?

You can produce %50 duty If input signal frequency is fixed and has %50 duty. You can calculate the appropriate R and C values. You can use monostable for non symetric input.

100 Mhz no problem you may select fast logic family but I dont suggest this circuit because duty drift by temprature.

PLL seems good solution for you.

square wave frequency doubler

bunalmis said:
PLL seems good solution for you.

thanks bunalmis

can you help me in this PLL ? i dunno which simulator have this component and what should i connect the PLL...( a circuit diagram connection if can)
is this PLL a frequency multiplier also? to get a 50% duty cycle, i should use another flip-flop circuit to divide the signal ? help please....thanks

Added after 16 minutes:

timo67 said:
Hi
Methods I know are:
1 PLL (Phase locked loop)
2 Non linearity to produce hamonics of the signal (full wave rectifier for example) followed by an adequate filter
2 Mixer (in reality mixers translate the frequency, but you can considerate that Fx2 is the same as F+F) this method is also non linearity...
3 monostables trigged by rise edge and fall edge of the signal (square)

specification
1. square wave input
2. square wave output(50%)
3. 100Mhz frequency

can you give a circuit diagram for each of the approach that you gave?
1. for PLL, what simulator can get the component? cadence? Hspice or pspice?
2. full rectifier.....is this AC current to DC current? can this get 50% suare wave
output?
3. for mixer....is this the one Xored 2 signal( one been delayed)?
4. can you give example for the FFT option?

thanks timo67 ...your help is very helpul to me.

mixer as frequency doubler

100MHz is a relative high frequency
for this reason I think the advice of bunalmis is wise
If you need a very precise duty cycle of 50% you can for example doubel you requency twice untill 400MHz and then divize it by 2 with a JK frequency divider.

good luck

pll frequency doubler

Use a phase lock loop,

frequency doubler pll

bunalmis said:

i use pspice to simulate the result, but it seem only can produce a zero crossing output...
i need more delay like delay a quarter of a input square wave

ragards

Status
Not open for further replies.