Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

mosfet damage when chasis is connected to earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

som_raparty

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am using a STW26nm60 mosfet at the PFC stage its drain is connected to the pri_GND. The out put of mosfet is a 400v which will be driving the forward section and one capacitor section in which the capacitor is charged to 400 v in 1sec. all these section are in pri_GND and the out put of forward is sec_GND. The tranformer of forward is isolated.the complete unit is a 1200W power supply.The 1200W will be for first one second while charging the capacitor, once it is charged it is a 250w.The entire board is kept in a metal enclosure which is connected to the input earth
Now my problem when i turn on the unit with out capacitor, so load is 250W and I/P earth connected to the chasis the PFC mosfet is ok, but as soon as i connect the capacitor part the mosfet is damaged from drain to source. I did not found any other componenet damage and this problen is present in some boards
Can any one suggest me some clue reg what more i can check to solve the prob

can you post your schematic ?
I'm not sure I understand your description.
may be you have some stability problem, or it just overheats ?
What happens if you put 2 mosfets in parallel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back