Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The standard of transistors numbering

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehboob_iiui

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The transistor and IC numbers are such as BC107 or 74LS04. Are these numbers a standard maintained by some authority or are they vendor dependent.

Transistors Numbers

There is a standard

first leters are to design a manufacturer

the following numbers the manufacturer select it in a consecutive way to diferenciate for another ones.

Re: Transistors Numbers

Miguel Gaspar said:
There is a standard

first leters are to design a manufacturer
Not true actually. BC107 for instance, BC has nothing in connection with any manufacturer. 74LS as well. There used to be three standards, European, USA and Japanese, and then Russian in cyrillic. Nowadays not so many manufacturers stick to that.

in general IC numbering is set by one particular manufacturer.
Once a particular IC becomes popular, other IC vendor tends to copy it. For example the logic series 74xx chips was so popular that every Logic IC vendor now makes it.

Then one of the manufacturers invented the "low-power shottky version" then it became the 74LSXX series. Then there was the "high-speed CMOS" which was the 74HCXX series. I think there is an even faster version now called the 74AHCXX series. Just don't ask me what that means...

Usually, there is no such a standard for chips. In fact, as chips become more and more application specific, it actually is kind of hard to see chips with similar numbering/naming systems.

as far as i know now the ic numbering standards are not a compulsion but the letters of specify the ic type or the manufacturer

but if my memory serves well BC in BC107 stands for silicon

A.Anand Srinivasan said:
but if my memory serves well BC in BC107 stands for silicon
Nope, B stands for silicon, C stands for "small signal tranistor" or something similar. Actually, I have that list somewhere, but in Serbian language.

Hi Folks,

Here is a link dealing with some of the active discrete semiconductors:

**broken link removed**

What Sinip wrote is correct on the Japanese, USA and Russian designations, you may find some more info on these in the lower half-part of this page, where the e-letters start: http://www.xs4all.nl/~ganswijk/chipdir/transist.htm

Further infos can be found here:

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/...ts/5089-identify-semiconductors-prefixes.html

And here in the first page of the pdf file:

**broken link removed**

And here: http://www.bvws.org.uk/405alive/tech/index.html click on Transistors

rgds
unkarc

narfnarf said:
I think there is an even faster version now called the 74AHCXX series. Just don't ask me what that means...

Advanced High speed CMOS

Nuts & Volts magazine had a good article on the TTL logic family a couple months ago. Then the next issue was going to be CMOS, but I haven't read it yet.

I've found Nuts & Volts to be a very good magazine.

mehboob_iiui,
For discrete semiconductor decies (transistors and diodes), the only standard that you can rely on for naming conventions are the part numbers that correspond to the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) naming convention. Specifically, 1NXXXX, 2NXXXX, etc. The rest are vendor specific, although some manufactures copy the naming conventions of their competitors.
Regards,
Kral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back