Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for an equivalent of PIC16C73A which is a flash chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Learner

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions on what I should do, at the moment I have a batch of PIC16C73A and these are one time programmable(OTP) micros and because they are OTP micros, I would not be able to develop programs using this chip without wasting them and I don't have a emulator.

I was wondering if there is a way that I can develop programs on a flash chip which is identical to the PIC16C73A so that I can just use the same code and dump into the PIC16C73A, once the code on the flash chip has been tested in circuit to confirm that it is working.

The problem is I can not find a equivalent of PIC16C73A which is a flash version, would it be better off for me sell the chips and use new model chips with the ICD2 package?

Thanks in advance!! :D

16f73 project

Look on the Microchip site. The A part is obsolete, the '73 part is new and has flash. I think it's pin and feature compatible. So buy one '73 (or 73B) and test and debug on it. Then burn the 73A's for production.

project with 16f73

Thanks for the fast response newelltech!!

Does anyone know if its possible to use the ICD2 programmer with the PIC16C73A, instead of having the ICD2 for the PIC16F73 and a K149 for PIC16C73A??

Since the user manual for the ICD2 specifies competibility for only PIC16Fxx series in the PIC16xxx range...:|

16f73 program

Hi,
Mplab icd2 is mainly for debugging. So otp devices are not supported for programming or debugging. You can program a 16f73 with mplab, but debugging is not supported by the chip. you can however use k149 for both the devices.
Alliegro

16f73 programming

Learner
check for PIC16F873A, they must be 99% compatible

k149 programs

Alliegro said:
Hi,
You can program a 16f73 with mplab, but debugging is not supported by the chip.

Hi,
I don't quite understand what you mean by debugging is not supported by the chip, do you mind telling me why?

you can however use k149 for both the devices.
Alliegro

I am looking to get the ICD2 because it seems to be a lot more flexible since I can use it on other current PICs also I am thinking of using it to program the 16F73 and dump the same code to the 16C73, however I am not quite sure the K149 can program the 16F73 because I did not see the 16F73 device listed as competible for the K149 kit. Please point me on the right direction if I am wrong, thanks!!

16f73 microchip project example

in my project i have replaced 16C73 and 16F73 with 16F737, has more option and its more cheap

16f73 programing

Hi Learner,
K149 can program 16f73. These are the cip info entries. If you need any further assistance and have got a diy kit, i can help.

CHIPname=16F73
INCLUDE=Y
SocketImage=28Npin
EraseMode=1
FlashChip=Y
PowerSequence=VccVpp1
ProgramDelay=10
ProgramTries=1
OverProgram=1
CoreType=bit14_C
ROMsize=001000
EEPROMsize=00000000
FUSEblank=3FFF
CPwarn=N
CALword=N
BandGap=N
ICSPonly=N
ChipID=0600
LIST1 FUSE1 "WDT" "Enabled"=3FFF "Disabled"=3FFB
LIST2 FUSE1 "PWRTE" "Disabled"=3FFF "Enabled"=3FF7
LIST3 FUSE1 "BODEN" "Enabled"=3FFF "Disabled"=3FBF
LIST4 FUSE1 "Oscillator" "RC"=3FFF "HS"=3FFE "XT"=3FFD "LP"=3FFC
LIST5 FUSE1 "Code Protect" "Disabled"=3FFF "Enabled"=3FEF

if you want to debug your application in hardware, then icd2 is your main choice.

Alliegro

microchip code examples 16f73

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts, I truely appreciate your help!! :D

Just want to mention I am new to PIC and my background is Motorola MC68HC11, what I would like to know is when programming a PIC, does the code(S19 file) gets dumped onto the eprom through SPI? If so, can't a programmer be used for all PICs?

As prevously mentioned, I am considering on getting a ICD2 kit because it handles all the new PICs which is what I'll be using once my batch of the 16C73A runs out. Therefore I am looking for a way to use up the 16C73A by developing the code on either the 16F73, 16F737 or the 16F873 then dump it onto the 16C73A, my only concern is that are all the registers set up the same eg its location/address?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back