Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Drive circuit for IGBT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanwizard

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
igbt circuits

Hello guys, somebody help me on how to drive igbt...

Hope somebody help me tnx...

igbt circuit

Yes, I'm also interested in IGBT drive circuits, circuit examples and design consideration?

Anybody help us?

thanks

igbt example circuit

Hi,

I'd recommend that you choose a driver that would be suitable for your application. One thing you could use is an electronics distributor's website (digikey.com for instance). Once you have the component, the information you are looking for is likely to be found in its datasheet or related application notes.
It is difficult to give a specific answer to your question since it would depend a lot on your power circuit.

driver circuit for igbt

IGBTs are controlled in the exact same was as if it were a MOSFET.

so search for "mosfet driver" also. you will find lots of companies offer mosfet driver solution all in one chip.

powerex
international rectifier
onsemi

depends on your power level and circuit topology after that before more detail can be given.

Mr.Cool

igbt circuit design

try using a micro controller

igbt optoisolation

You can't drive properly an IGBT from a microcontroller because of the gate capacitance. You need a fast bipolar driver, being able to supply with enough current the IGBT gate and having a low output impedance where the gate capacitance could discharge fast.

igbt circuit example

Hello,

besides regular MOSFET drivers, as Mr.Cool suggested, optical isolated IGBT drivers could be interesting, available from Avagotech and other companies. Also discrete transistor drivers could be designed.

For high power IGBT with several 10 amp gate current requirement, they are needed anyway. A +10/-5 to +/- 15 V drive level should be realized for optimal performance, gate series resistor are tuned for an design specific tradeoff between switching losses and inductive overvoltage.

Regards,
Frank

opto isolated igbt driver circuit

thanks for all,

Yes, optical isoluated gate drive circuits are very useful

Could you advise me any link about optical gate drive circuits?

thanks

optically isolated mosfet gate circuits

Hello,

I was thinking particularly of Avagotech (former Agilent semiconductor) HCPL-316. It's said to be usable up to 1200V/150A IGBT (could be less, depending on your switching performance and isolation voltage requirements). But you need dual output isolated DC/DC converter for each separate E potential, e. g. four converters for a three-phase bridge.
http://www.avagotech.com

I think, however, that this effort couldn't be avoided for higher power application. For lower power, non-isolated level shifting drivers as IR2181 from IRF could be used.
http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-978.pdf

Like the discrete IRF driver example you presented, they don't use negative going Ugs respectively Uge, which would be needed for optimum performance with IGBT to my opinion. Also they have limited maximum duty cycle for high-side driver.

Regards,
Frank

isolated igbt gate drive circuit

now you are getting into the details of the design. how much CMRR is needed? opto's come with input-to-output capactiance of 2 to 5pf. power supply transformers are the same. should -5V or -15V or turn-OFF clamp be used? what is the optimal solution? you can't know this without knowledge of the system and application.

in general, follow FvM advice. get +15V and -10V isolated power supply and use opto isolation for EACH IGBT. who cares if you can combine all lower IGBTs into one supply reference. unless you are building a million units, it is not worth the effort do design one supply that is different. just design one isolated gate drive and replicate it 6 times.. a bit more expensive but is a good baseline.

you need a mosfet driver or opto-driver that can deliver enough PEAK current to turn your IGBT on. if you aim for 10Apk that should cover the big modules sufficiently.

now go & design. post more detail if you need more detailed answer. good luck!!

Mr.Cool

igbt circuits example

thanks everybody

first of all, design an active power filter is my graduation project. professor have obtain harmonics by using a electronic circuits, but I dont know how is running :).

I have to add inverse harmonics to line.

How can I add inverse harmonics to line? Can I use IGBT?

how to drive igbt

Harmonics and reactive load can be compensated by a four-quadrant inverter, usually with IGBT for higher power. This technique is used since years, thus there should be a huge, possibly immense literature.

Regards,
Frank

As an addition: Connecting your circuit to a low-impedance power grid, you should better sense load or total current and base compensation on this measurement. Compensating the voltage down to zero harmonic distortion is probably impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.