Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

different between 8051 and PIC microcontroller ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

darlling5147

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
difference between pic16xxx and 8051

may someone tell me what is the diferent between 8051 and PIC microcontroller pls......advantages and disadvantages as well.....

thx very very much

can't cover it all!!!

Huge difference internally, Externally they do the same thing.

805x family is more a complex instruction set computer (hundreds of instructions) where the PIC is more reduced instruction set and has about 30 to 90 instructions depending on the PIC.

Both have many derivatives and lots of public domain designs and code.

The actual peripherals incorporated in the MCU's really determine which chip has an advantage, which *will* change with the application.

I've used many devices including 805x and PIC, I personally like PIC's as they are fast enough and usually have a timers and 10bit A/D even on the cheap low end devices.

so what is the sampling rate for PIC16F877A

No offense, but that is a question I would answer by going to the uChip site and downloading the PIC manual and looking it up. Difference between a PIC and an 805X? The 805X series is much more traditional, the PIC16XXX has a wierd (but brilliant) instruction set. It's weird because it was designed to be as minimal as possible in it's memory footprint. So where a chip like the 805X has a bunch of conditional branching statements, the PIC16XXX series uses compare and skip instructions and a branch instruction to do in 3 or 4 instructions what an 805X does in one instruction. If you don't know how the flag register works you're screwed. Usually you create a bunch of macros for conditional branching that hides the nastiness from your programming. The PIC18XXX has the original PIC16XXX instruction set plus a slew of more instrctions that make it look a lot more like a traditional processor. I would start with an 805X chip, once you understand it's instruction set and address modes you can tackle the eccentric but powerful PIC16XXX instruction set. I've seen
PICs used in introductory classes on ucontrollers where the whole class gets lost on branching and the brilliant but strange INDF address mode.

And yes, you cannot beat the PIC16XXX series for how they pack everything but the kitchen sink into a chip for a really cheap price.

Status
Not open for further replies.