Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC development board, DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I also build some of the boards by myslef. BUT sometimes you start adding so many things to the board, that at the end it will cost you much more then buying a ready made one!

That IS true :D Also, when you take the time to design into consideration, a ready made one significantly cheaper. Alas, I have almost all of the parts (except the PCB). I must say, I was impressed with that particular board, had almost everything, and for a very reasonable price.

However, manymuch 'extras' is on it, its always convenient to have direct access to every I/O somewhere on the edge of the board. Large double row pin headers are ok, but that would require making up many 'socket' wires for individual I/O's, or just plugging in and IDC cable...but what if we only want access to a couple of I/O's? bit of a hassle.

That said....as with all the suggestions people have given in this thread, might 'copy' some idea's from that board :D
Right, I know its going slow, but I'm making progress, after all, its a development board, not for a sibgle application, but for any application I can think of, so its a very difficult thing to do. My inital idea has been taken... check this out:

**broken link removed**

A stackthrough connector was what I had in mind, to allow multiple boards to be stacked, each having access to every I/O, with the main board containing the essentials (power, Xtal, RS232, USB, jumper settings etc..). Great, and I have more board space to play with here, I also like the idea of using the stackthrough socket to plug in wires for breaboarding (am I repeating myself??). On top of all of this, 4 10 pin headers for each port at the sides for plugging in modules without having to use a stack board, its just a question of whether there is enough room between the PCB stacks for IDC cables, or should I have these at a right angle?

The key thing I'm after is versatility. I could add lots of led's and switches but how often would I need them? at least with the above method it would be very simple to attach stripboard/breadbroad prototypes to it, lots of headers, connectors, and jumper settings. Right now, I'm just stuck getting the layout right.

Thanks, and as always, any advice (or, 'help' woudl probably be a better word)

BuriedCode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back