Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing microcontroller with USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

sivasujith

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Please help me with a circuit for interfacing my microcontroller thru USB rather than serial port....[/quote]

I think much easier is to employ a microcontroller with implemented USB interface, for example PIC18F4550 ..
Here are examples:

**broken link removed**

Regards,
IanP

sivasujith

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
This is good example **broken link removed**

sivasujith

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you very much Ian... is it not possible with any ATMEL products probably of CISC architecture...

You can also try to use TUSB3410 (serial to USB adapter chip). It works fine. You can also find a lot of docs and firmware, and drivers on the manufacturer's site: WWW.TI.COM
With this chip you don't have to change the code in your application. It creates an emulated serial COM port.

Use one of the FTDI devices. They are a little expensive but they are idiot-proof. In fact, you should buy one of those little USB plug in boards that have the FTDI device soldered up with the USB port. You can stick it in a breadboard or solder it into your circuit-board, install the USB device driver on your computer and other code, write your microcontroller code for your serial port and your done. For a small project it's the only way to go. I made the mistake of buying a tiny RF transceiver that I realized as soon as I saw it, I wasn't going to be able to solder this thing into my board. And even if I did, I wasn't too sure it would work. So I just bought a tiny little board that had the RF transceiver, caps, inductors, and everything else and plunked it into my project and away I went.

sivasujith said:
Please help me with a circuit for interfacing my microcontroller thru USB rather than serial port....
[/quote]

please bear in mind that in a USB configuration, one can be the USB device or become the USB host. a microcontroller system that will make a usb device would be much simpler i guess, as there are many chips to fit that purpose (FTDI).

to become a host, however, which can control other usb devices, is a bit more difficult. i reckon there are chips to do this out there, but not as common as for usb device functions.

CMIIW

sivasujith said:
Thank you very much Ian... is it not possible with any ATMEL products probably of CISC architecture...

In Atmels AVR (RISC) there is some USB micros too, feks AT90USB1286, AT90USB1287, AT90USB646 and AT90USB647.

hi all... does anyone here knew how to connect pic16f877a to usb port?
is this possible?

thanx :D

Very important is not only the hardware of the microcontroller to USB connection, but also (even, maybe, more) the software. Using FTDI chips (https://www.ftdichip.com/) you will get the complete solution. Your interface software from both sides, PC and microcontroller, will be the same as for the serial port. I use this solution already two years. It started to work immediately without problems.

does anyone know how to connect avr to usb, or the code using avr microcontroler

try this

**broken link removed**

and famous

**broken link removed**

bis

Status
Not open for further replies.