Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to drive an LED display using LCD driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computerman29

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
LCD to LED Display?

Hello.

Here is a nice one for you guys to chew on. I have some TC820 chips from Microchip. It is a Voltage meter/Frequency meter chip and has a built-in 3 3/4 digit LCD driver. I discovered that 7-segment LCD displays are expensive and hard to find. LED displays, on the other hand, are cheap and common. My question is this: Does anyone know how to drive an LED display using an LCD driver? If it is possible, what additional circutry is required? Thanks in advance to all who help.

LCD to LED Display?

wht is the need of LCD driver for some 7segment display. Use 7segment display with its driver(7447,46).
bibin John
www.bibinjohn.tk

Re: LCD to LED Display?

I want to use the TC820 chip (which has a built-in LCD driver) to drive an LED display instead of an LCD.

LCD to LED Display?

i think tht chip have parallel I/O pins, you just use them.

Bibin John
www.booksbybibin.tk

It does not, otherwise I would not be writing this post. (Unless you see something in the datasheet that I do not.)

i always thought to drive a LED, one would use current source... LCD, voltage source....

Electronicus, Thanks for your help. That looks like it may help, but there is one small problem: I only speak english. Is there an English version of that page?

Added after 9 minutes:

Here is the datasheet for the TC820. Maybe it will help.

Computerman29 said:
Electronicus, Thanks for your help. That looks like it may help, but there is one small problem: I only speak english. Is there an English version of that page?

Added after 9 minutes:

Here is the datasheet for the TC820. Maybe it will help.
To translate, use: http://babelfish.altavista.com/

A web traslator. WOW!! I didn't know such things existed. (Where have I been?) Anyway, thanks. Not quite what I'm looking for, but it will help a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.