Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

interface lan card with microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireball003

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
microcontroller interfacing lan card

Hi,
Is there any easy way to interface PCI lan card with microcontroller?

Thanks a lot.

microcontroller lan

if you want some embedded ethernet project then u have to go for some ready made boards having rtl8019as. This project is opensource and you can get codes from
https://www.sics.se/~adam/uip/
for almost all microcontrollers.

see for modules from www.edtp.com

Bibin John
www.bibinjohn.tk

lan card project

Off the shelf ethernet modules are available for interfacing to microcontrollers. There are good articles on this topic at Circuit cellar. they are very helpful.

microchip lan projects

**broken link removed**

I ran into a module just a little after reading your post. $55 isn't cheap but doesn't seem too bad.. Hmm just looked around some, seems cheaper than most.

Alan

pic18 lan circuit

If you don't persist on any MCU platform you can select MCU that support LAN.for example Atmel ARM series,Atmel AVR32,Or ST atlas,....
because PCI module Interfacing with MCU is more sophisticate than built in module and with simple MCU could not implement PCI interface!

intefacing pci lan card with microcontroller

Also have a look at microchip ENC28J60. specifically built for a microcontroller.

lancard with microcontroller

I recently implemented Microchip's ENC28J60 ethernet controller in our company project and it runs like a charm.
Microchip also offer TCP/IP stack free of charge thus TCP/UDP communication was easy to implement.
And finally a comparison of straightforward ENC28... and too complex Realtek chip architecture brings my votes for ENC.
For rapid development you can buy cheap ENC28J60 based modules from **broken link removed**, **broken link removed**, Olimex and others.

I've used Microchip's **broken link removed** development board and **broken link removed** for the project design.

pci lan card microcontroller

I have also used the ENC28J60 but with the free TCP/IP from uIP. While the ENC28J60 works fine (consumes a little high current), the uip leaves a lot to be desired. the earlier versions of uip (0.6) were light and could be implemented very easily in 768bytes of ERAM of P89C51RD2 but they have some bugs and need quite a bit of tweaking to make them run properly. uip also has a difficult user interface. The later version 0.9 and 1.0 work OK if you have larger RAM. working with small RAM causes some problems.

How much RAM / ROM does microchip TCP/IP stack require for a small implementation. Can it be easily ported to platforms other than PIC.

microcontroller lan interface

Hi Techie,
it's hard to answer your question for me at the moment. We're about to start profiling the application and what we've done is just a "proof of concept". The core module (PIC 18LF6722) runs Microchip TCP/IP stack ver. 3.02 along with PIC18 RTOS therefore it's hard to say how much memory is occupied just by the stack, especially when all optimizations are switched off at the moment.

I think you can find rough numbers in Microchip application note AN833b.pdf. There is a table in a chapter "Memory usage".

Anyway a basic implementation (MAC, TCP, IP) shoud take about 5000 words of program memory (FLASH) and 60 Bytes of data memory (RAM) plus necessary I/O buffers dependant on your configuration.

I don't know about the portability to another platforms :| Basically it is aimed on ENC28J60 and RTL8019AS modules and on Microchip C18 and Hi-Tech PICC 18 compilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.