Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can Barkhausen criteria be related with the simplest ring oscillator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STOIKOV

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how can Barkhausen criteria be related with the simplest ring oscillator based in inverters ?

barkhausen criterion for oscillator

well, i THINK that it can be applied , u neeed a positive feedback and a beta*A > 1 ,
for a positive feedback u need an odd number of inverting stages and for the gain u may think of the inverter stage as two common source amplifiers (i.e. gain stage) with a unity feedback then the beta*A>1 , then we have oscillation.
if we talk about the three inverter stages ring osc. each of the three stage gives a phase shift of 180 degrees (i.e. total phase shift of 270 degree) therefore we need another 180 degree for +ve feedback , since there r three poles at the o/p of each stage then each of the poles give a freq. dependent phase shift that will reach -270 degree at infinite freuency , and hence we can see that the -180 degree required happens at freq. < inf. therefore osc. ocuurs.
regards.

STOIKOV

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
barkhausen criterion

well since poles ( R & C ) are there then we will have an ideal sine wave copming out and not a pulse . here it shd be perceived in time domain .

what u said is also possible but inverters(bjt + Rc) with decent gain are applied there and o/p can be taken as sine wave.

STOIKOV

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.