Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Chip to convert 25 volt RS232 in PC COM to 5 volt USART?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elnegm

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
In my project i want to interface atmega16 with my PC COM so i need the ic that convert 25 volt from the PC COM to 5 volt input to the conttroller and vica versa.
Thanks in advance

Look at the standard series of Maxim EIA-232 converters named MAX232 (there are a few derivatives with another numbers, another input/output configurations)

MAX232 is like a legend, but some designers say it is a dinosaur ..
Although you can still use it and it will work pefectly fine, nowadays you will find better solutions to convert 0-5V to RS-232 levels ..
First of all, 99% of contemporary PCs will happily accept 0-5V levels on their RX inputs ..
The 232 ICs need external capacitors, 4 of them, but there are ICs which don't use external caps any more .. MAX233, for example ..
http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/M/A/X/2/MAX233.shtml
But wait, there is still something more interesting ..
Take a look at the low-power 8-pinners such as DS275 or DS276: 8-pins and nothing around ..
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Regards,
IanP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back