Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Passive versus Active integrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

auj

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
active integrator

Hi,
I want to know performance differences b/w an active filter comprising opamp versus
a simple R-C filter

thanks a lot

auj said:
Hi,
I want to know performance differences b/w an active filter comprising opamp versus
a simple R-C filter

thanks a lot

RC filter is not integrator. It has exponential response with time constant RC until output voltage becomes equal to input.

Thanks for the reply
My understanding was:
If time constant is very small, then RC n/wbehaves like a filter else it behaves as an integrator
thoughts?
thx

The active integrator has a pole very near the origin, much closer than you can get with real world RC passive values. The closeness of the active version is limited by the DC gain.

The spectrum of the signal you want to integrate controls your choice. The circuit pole has to be lower in frequency than the lowest signal component.

Status
Not open for further replies.