Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Whats the difference between random and stochastic process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saidyhs

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Random processes

is there any difference between random and stochastic process? i asked my teacher he told me they are the same, but stochastic is used within high class scientists, or one is AmE and the other is BrE

Re: Random processes

there is no difference..random processes and stochastic processes mean the same thing: family of random variables.

no.. i dont htink both are same. random processes mean, certain processes that are modeled or assumed t represent a phenomena. but stochastic processes are multiple realisations of a particular random process. let me know if u want any references for this concept.
regards.

Random processes

All of the Prob. & Stochastic processes books I came across use these 2 terms synonymously.

A realisation of a stochastic process or random process is a possible scenario or an outcome. When you refer to a random/stochastic process you refer to something you don't know exactly (no exactly number) but what it could be (all of the possible scenario characterized by probability); when you refer to a realisation you refer to a certain thing (one possible scenario, e.g. coin already tossed, dice already rolled). You might not say which of the scenarios but you can refer to one of it arbitrarily.

let me know if u want any references for this concept.
If you could upload the references that point out the differences between these 2 terms here, it would be great.

agree to u all...no difference. just a nomenclature.

Random processes

so far i know they r the same

Hi,

As for as my understanding is, random and stochastic processes are same things, just a different nomenclature.

BR,

Arif Khan

saidyhs said:
is there any difference between random and stochastic process? i asked my teacher he told me they are the same, but stochastic is used within high class scientists, or one is AmE and the other is BrE

you refer to site analogdevice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back