Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[PLL] Relation between Freq Step and Phase Step response?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yolande_yj

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pll step response

Hi, in PLL design, what is the relation between frequency step response and phase step response?Or what is the relation between Freq(ω) and Phase(ω)? Thanks

what is a pll step response

the frequency step is a ramp in phase ,
so the phase step is differnitation of frequncy step"which is ramp in phase"

so to get frequncy steo respose "apply a step" then put an integrator before the pll

khouly

Re: [PLL] Relation between Freq Step and Phase Step response

khouly said:
the frequency step is a ramp in phase ,
so the phase step is differnitation of frequncy step"which is ramp in phase"
integration?
How can I apply a phase step?

if u use a linear model in s domain , just use a step source , this will be the phase step

khouly

how about in time domain, transient simulation?

Dear Yolande,

In a PLL, you can actually inject the phase step by adding a source at the input of VCO in the PLL, in series with the loop filter output. Remember that the the control voltage will determine the phase/frequency

Vamsi Mocherla said:
Dear Yolande,

In a PLL, you can actually inject the phase step by adding a source at the input of VCO in the PLL, in series with the loop filter output. Remember that the the control voltage will determine the phase/frequency
Yes, but if I apply a voltage step to the VCO, that will cause frequency step, not phase step.

i never did this before but u may try it ,
1- try to do a model for a source like
V=A*sin(w*t+phi) ; the source get the phi as input "i think it is a simple verilogA code"
then just add a step to the phi i/p.

i didnt try this but it may work.

Status
Not open for further replies.