Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

fluke 79 III multimeter DC measuring principle

Status
Not open for further replies.

polarized

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

When someone wants to measure a DC voltage or a DC current, is the multimeter actually calculating internally an average value which it displays on the screen of the instrument with a specific refresh rate? If this is an average value, what is the integration time in which this value is calculated? How is the display refresh rate connnected with this integration time? The root of the problem is that I have to measure an average DC value of a device which consums current in short impulses and the frequency of the impulses is low around 0.8Hz. The duration of the impulses is around 1ms. I always measure a completely wrong value which is 10 times higher then specified in the datasheet of the device. What is the mistake in this measurement and would it be better maybe to use a different multimeter and why? I would like to understand from a technical point of view why isnt it possible to correctly measure the current comsumption using this Fluke 79 III regular multimeter. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.