Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

voltage measurement with multimeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

chang830

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I have a question on the voltage measuremnts with multimeter.

I am measuring two output for my IC. These two outputs are the CML signal outputs.When no signal input, the dc output multimeter shows are 4.53 V and 4.45 V, respectively. When there is signal transfering, I also use multimeter to monitor its output common mode voltage, it gives 4.49 V and 4.46 V, respectively which are different with the dc mesuremts results.

Can anyone tell me why this descrepance?

Thanks in advance

Miguel Gaspar said:
It is very difficult without the circuit and description.

In another words, my question is if the multimeter can monitor the dc value for a AC signal.

You will have to carefully read the manual for your meter to find out what it really measures. In the old days with D'Arsonval meters, the DC measurements were true DC. With modern meters with ADC circuits this is not necessairly what is measured.

I still own a Simpson 260. I understand that they are still sold. This makes them in production for 50+ years.

chang830

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back