Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can i unplug the vga cable while windows is running

Status
Not open for further replies.

superhet

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
monitor only turns on when unplug vga

actually im designing a vga controller on an FPGA and for that i have to check the design again and again. for that i have to first disconnect from my dialup connection and then shut down my pc and then connect the monitor to the FPGA kit.

i was just wondering whether i could unplug the vga cable from the PC while windows was running because this would save me alot of time.

unplug vga while computer is on

Hi, Yes you can. Better buy a VGA switch for two VGA driver cards to one VGA monitor. You can find them in most computer store's they are not so expensive and better than disconnecting/re-connecting your VGA cable since it can harm the VGA drivers. Why ?. Since you don't disconnect or re-connect all the pins at the smae moment you can have problems or have a latch-up of your VGA card on your computer.

regards,

Paul.

superhet

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
vga disconnect cable

If you have a good (verified) ground connection at both the PC and the monitor you can with minimum risk. Verify if you have any voltage difference between the ground of PC and ground of the monitor when monitor is disconected and both are power on.

superhet

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
how to unplug vga cable

actually they have the same ground. i have one power cable coming from the power outlet going into the CPU then from that i have given the power to the monitor. i remember that the two sockets on the power supply of the CPU are simply connected in parallel. so both have the same ground.

and i will not unplug the VGA cable when the monitor is turned on. i will first turn off the monitor and then unplug the cable from the CPU. but windows will still be running.

can disconnect vga while pc on

superhet said:
i was just wondering whether i could unplug the vga cable from the PC while windows was running because this would save me alot of time.

Yes, definitely... u can try on ur PC ..

Regards

unplug vga

There's no problem to do that sir. As long you're not unplug the power cable.

disconnect monitor while computer is running

Unplugging the VGA cable with monitor turned off is OK. But if you do that sometimes Windows will reinstall its monitor driver. Try to turn on your PC with monitor turned on. Usually Windows reinstall the driver by itself.

I found this on a Windows 2000 machine.

bad to unplug monitor input?

Well maybe that's on the windows 2000 platform, but with XP I assure you nothing goes wrong at all. I keep on doing it all the time, connecting datashows and then disconnecting and re-connecting the monitor again.

My question is concerning this datashow thing (projector) isn't there anything that would enable me connecting both the monitor and the projector at the same time on one pc instead of disconnecting and reconnecting ??

Thanks all.

way to disconnect vga cable

there should be a software for choosing that , try searching for it , "it should be option in ur VGA driver"

safe to unplug vga cable

hi

it will just depend upon ur monitor
if monitor is sensitive and starts suddenly when pc is started then unpluging is not recommended but u should use switch

can we disconnect the monitor while cpu is on

Hi,
There are two ways for the implementation
1) Once I saw a tapping network which is nothing but the PC video port, the projector input port and the monitor input port all connected together. This is not a good idea, ofcourse it will work but at each input port there will be some drop of current leading to low input at the two display devices.
2) Most of the projectors I have seen had two extra ports, one for the AUX IN and other for OUT from the actual input from PC.

Also I didn't said there will be any problem with reconnecting the video ports when the PC is ON. What I said was that there used to be something related to driver of the monitor when you tries to power ON the PC with the monitor OFF, kind like unattended start. Anyway you should realize Windows is an OS for users, its not supposed to power ON with monitor OFF as the whole stuff is based on GUI.

Ahmed Ragab said:
Well maybe that's on the windows 2000 platform, but with XP I assure you nothing goes wrong at all. I keep on doing it all the time, connecting datashows and then disconnecting and re-connecting the monitor again.

My question is concerning this datashow thing (projector) isn't there anything that would enable me connecting both the monitor and the projector at the same time on one pc instead of disconnecting and reconnecting ??

Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back