Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help on thermometer decoding implementation in DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovseed

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing an 14-bit DAC. To compensate the systematic gradient errors, i need to control the switching sequence of the MSB current sources.

I am refering to the paper "A 14-bit Intrinsic Accuracy Q^2 Random Walk CMOS DAC"

But I am not quite clear how it implement the decoding logic with a special VHDL implementation using lookup tables.

Anyone know the details?

I am wondering the classic column-row decoding scheme can also be applied to randomized current source layout.

Added after 4 hours 42 minutes:

yeah! I have got that.
suppose we adopt N bit unary in MSB

The sequence to turn on this current source can be represented as
Sequence=2^(N/2) * row + col

row is from 0 to 2^(N/2)-1
col is from 0 to 2^(N/2)-1

In random sequence, we can get row/col from the "Sequence".

row=[Sequence/(2^(N/2))] [] means get the integer part of the result.
col=Sequence%(2^(N/2))

So even for randomized current source as presented in the above paper, we can still use the row-column decoding scheme!

Aha!

I have questions on this paper.
The first is how do u get the real "randomized" switching sequency.
The second is by what method the author get the residue errors distribution in matlab.
I have read this paper and the paper "A 12-bit intrinsic accuracy high-speed CMOS DAC" for countless numbers but still can not understand the above two problems.
could anyone give me some advice?

Those papers always brief out the most important contents. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.