Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can we use SCHOTTKY RECTIFIER instead of Rectifier diodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikhilele

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would ask straight forwad
can we use 1N5822 or similar instead of 1N4001 or similar

Re: can we use SCHOTTKY RECTIFIER instead of Rectifier diode

nikhilele,
For most applications, the answer is "Yes". However, there are two considerations that may have an impact, depending on the application:
~
The reverse leakage of a Schottky diode is generally higher than a conventional rectifier.
~
Shottky diodes typically have a much faster turn-off speed. This could result in the generation of higher amplitude high frequency EMI components.
Regards,
Kral

and we can obvisiously use them in our normal ckt operation where we can voltage drops and where we want isolation.

nikhilele said:
and we can obvisiously use them in our normal ckt operation where we can voltage drops and where we want isolation.

What means !!!!!!!!!!!1????????

sorry for my bad english,
I want to say that we can use schotty for voltage drops and isolation,
isolation so reverse current does not flow but when ever necessary forward can flow quickly compared to normal diode.

Generally, the main hightlights of a Schottky diode are faster switched time, lower voltage drop. The drawbacks are higher reverse leakage current, lower reverse broken voltage.

In switched mode power supply applications, Schottky diode if often used in case of low voltage high current.

Besides, A Schottky diode can be used as a RF detector due to their high frequency performance.

And normal diode much cheaper than SCHOTTKY diode .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back