Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the effect of Av and how to set it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohazaga

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is effect of Av ?

Hi,,,

I have equ. about the effect of the voltage gain Av of amp. on the ouput voltage , and which parameter effect it .

When we say we set Av=6 , what does it mean in diff. amp. and how we set it to that value ?
Also , how gm of NMOS transistor effect Av in diff. amp. ?

any help
thanx

Re: what is effect of Av ?

Yes, output voltage can be specified by gm*(Rout) of the circuit, but could you post a schematic of the circuit if you have it? It would be easier to explain.

Hi ,,,
In CS amp. , is Av=gm Rd , so Av= gmn/gmp , if we use PMOS as load ( in triod by grounding it's G).
is the true
Thanx

what is effect of Av ?

we can not clearfy these things without seeing the circuit.... but i think th Rd in "Av=gm Rd" must be the load input impedance that when we use pmos as a load in teriod region, it came to bo 1/gm(Rd=Rds,teriod=1/gm); (gm=Kt(Vgs-Vt)^2)

these are some formulas that we can easily calculate them with ac models of transistors....

HI ,

In triod region , PMOS resistance will be 1/gm , so if we use PMOS as load resistanc . Then Rd = 1/gm of PMOS .

In CS amp. the Av=gmn . Rd , so , Av=gmn/gmp .
is that ok
thanks

what is effect of Av ?

it must be true....remember that the equation Rd=1/gm is approximately true, just in the deep triod rgion...

Hi ,,,

do you mean that equ. not true in triod ?
thankz

what is effect of Av ?

i said it is true in DEEEP triod region, where the Rds of MOS trinsistor is approximated by 1/gm....
deep teriod means that Vgs<<<Vt.
otherwise the real Rds value is calculated by absouloute bias values of Id and Vgs in folowing equ.:
Id=k((Vgs-Vt)Vt+....) i dont remember it completely....i do not think it is important for you....

gain = gm*Ro.
gm -> input transistor transcoductance (of the diff opamp).
Ro depends on how u have implemented the load,it can be either nmos or pmos.,
if its a pmos load,in triode region.

if u wnated to increase the gain,either the gm can be increase,or either the Ro value.

hi
I got that , but when they say in some ckt (Common source) with PMOS as load and NMOS current source connected to the S of CS amp. , that the set the Av=6 .
I did not get the meaning of that , and how we set it .

thankz - attached the ckt , the output taken from drain of 1st NMOS

Hi ,,,
any body there , please answer
thankx

Status
Not open for further replies.