Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to build a HV amplifier: Uout = 0...150V, 10mA ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomeeh

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hv amplifier

Hello.

Does anybody have any idea, how to build an amplifier for a piezoceramics? I need to have 150V at output, max output current <10mA, SR > 1V/µs. The input voltage will be in 0...5V range, so I need the gain G=30.
The problem is I don't know how to design the output stage. Most probably there will be low voltage IC amplifier, and some transistors connected to high voltage (c.a. 160V). Can anybody make a sketch of it, or give an interesting link?

how to make a amplifier for tv

As an example, here is a concept of +230/-230V "OPAMP" ..
**broken link removed**
In your project you can reduce supply voltage(s) and use less powerful transistors ..

Regards,
IanP

150v amplifier

Thank you IanP.
The circuit you proposed is a little bit complicated, but this is because of its high performance, i.e.:
1. High Voltage (±230V = 460Vpp)
2. High Speed (4100V/µs)
3. Relatively high output current (53mA)

My application doesn't need so high performance; I mean:
1. Voltage: 150Vpp
2. Speed: 10V/µs; BW: 5...10kHz
3. Current: 10mA

The circuit you propsed is pretty complicated, I'm afraid it will expensive and/or not easy to make it working (I have no experience in HV amplifiers).

But I'm sure there must an easier circuit meeting my requirements. I heard, that one can use HV video amplifier taken from TV - it is supposed it consists of 2 NPN transistors. Does anybody know how the cricuit looks like?

I guess you have in mind RGB output cascode amplifiers (see picture below) ..

If you need a stabile and linear 0-150V amplifier you should really consider an opamp in "boosted" configuration, and below is another - this time very simplifed - version of HV amplifier ..

Regards,
IanP

Well, currently I'm more interested in the second solution, although it may turn out it is not accurate enough. IanP, again thaks for your help, and small question, could you put here the second amplifier in a better quality, so the names of transistors, values of passive component are visible? If you don't have time to put it, just give some link to this, or similar schematics.
Regarding the first schematic - were can I find values/types of used components?
Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.