Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using Program memory as Data memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

anksyete

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a matris, 64x32, and it consists float number,

the pic or dspic data memories are not enough for it,

how can I use program memory as data memory for this matris?

thank you for helps...

Is the matrix'c content will be changed during code run time? If it is, then I don't think you can put it inside program memory. Program memory can be only used for storing fixed values (eg look up tables)

regards,

the values of the marix will be changed during code run time,
I can define store it as for example: const float E[64][32], but I can't change its values,

so if I want to change values during code run time, I cannot store these values to program memory too, right?

thank you again LBdgWgt...

anksyete said:
the values of the marix will be changed during code run time,
I can define store it as for example: const float E[64][32], but I can't change its values,

so if I want to change values during code run time, I cannot store these values to program memory too, right?

thank you again LBdgWgt...

yes, since defining const float E[64][32] will result by putting this matrix inside your Program memory (Flash memory most probably - i never use PIC before), so for changeable/processed values, i think you have no other options than to use external RAM or change with uC with bigger RAM.

regards,

I think you need a bigger PIC (or may be even a better micro alltogether).
What about a small ARM microcontroller for floatingpoint matrix?

Bob

I solve the RAM problem with using dsPIC30F6010 (8192 Bytes Sdram capacity),,

thanks for helps...

Wow,
you paid about twice the price of an ARM micro for a dsPIC..
A SAM7S32 or a LPC2103 would have provided more than double the computational power at a fraction of the price.
Well it is your choice.
Bob

bobsanjose said:
Wow,
you paid about twice the price of an ARM micro for a dsPIC..
A SAM7S32 or a LPC2103 would have provided more than double the computational power at a fraction of the price.
Well it is your choice.
Bob

well ... if only buying a cheaper and more powerfull / featurefull µC could solve the problem, then that would be nice.
even changing micros just from PIC to AVR may take a reasobable time.. and here you are suggesting to jump into an altogether new world of ARM.
:D

regards

I am unsure what the problem was with a cheaper PIC. You can read/write to the program memory of 16F and 18F devices at run time. That's what makes boot loaders possible. Reading the datasheets will help you get the most out of your uC, no matter the brand.

-Jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies.